45┃not all monsters

CHAPTER FORTY FIVE

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

THE AUTOMATIC SLIDING DOORS of the hotel parted way for Mila. The humidity attached itself to skin that had just been cleansed by a long shower and then lathered in vanilla-scented lotion. She was thankful that she decided to put her hair up and put on a white sundress, the temperature rising to its highest now that it was closing in on noon.

Check out had gone smoothly and organizing her belongings to pack hadn't taken as long as she thought. She had even took the time to situate things at her old job; turns out with amnesiac magic involved, it was easy to take advantage and weasel your way back in. Everything seemed to be falling into place ever since she booked herself a doctor's appointment and got professional confirmation that she was, in fact, pregnant.

Mila was still at a very early stage in her pregnancy and wouldn't have a proper ultrasound appointment for another month, but she already had it scheduled with an obstetrician back in New York, where she planned to set off to now. This unexpected news sent her into action, leaving behind all of her other problems to put the baby growing inside of her first. It was the easiest decision she had made in awhile.

But, however, it appeared her peaceful streak of good luck was coming to end when she caught sight of someone seemingly waiting for her by her parked car in the back of the lot. Her steps slowed, and she tipped her sunglasses down the bridge of her nose to clarify that she was actually seeing a woman in a breezy teal dress with gold accents. She sighed dramatically, knowing exactly why the mysterious woman and her unnatural features looked so out of place.

"Ugh. Another jailbreak from Malivore," Mila announced, pausing a few feet away from her. The stranger's knowing stare on her didn't falter. "Listen, I'm off monster squad duty, but if you plan on causing any upset, just know there's a tribred in the rage stage of her break up who will probably have you defeated before dinner time."

The woman, equally elegant and beautiful, showed off perfect white teeth when grinned, amused by Mila's introduction. She even offered a hand out to her. "I'm Ketzera, but you may call me Zera. I'm a seer. I obtain knowledge and council people like yourself with the possibilities of their future. I make sure they take the best path. I'm here to help you."

"Right. Seer. That's a new one." Mila hesitantly goes to shake her hand, adjusting the duffle bag on her shoulder. "Definitely beats having a run in with a man-eating spider. Because apparently that's a thing."

It was like the cloak draped over her was a tapestry she had fallen out of. She was all mahogany lips, frostbitten hair, and shimmering bronze skin. Even her eyes, the same color of polished pearls, were enchanting rather than frightening. The creature was an art-form come to life.

Mila decides that the Malivore escapee was at least not going to maim her in public, even finding her medieval vibe a bit charming. She takes her enlightened eyes off of her to click a button on her car key that opens up the trunk, tossing her luggage in. Zera watches her carefully.

"You said that you weren't going to give up on him."

At the Seer's blunt observation, Mila let out a humorless laugh and shut the trunk with a harsher force than necessary. Of course an all-knowing monster risen from the depths of nothingness would come to her for a therapy session. She supposed it was a long time coming after all the traumatizing and barbaric things she's witnessed and endured. But it was a bit too little, too late.