14┃witching hour

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

"THERE'S NO GUARANTEE THIS will work, you know?" Kai states, settling down on the ground, where the wooden floorboards were clean of any dirt and dust.

"I know." Mila joins him, sitting down cross-legged.

"Technically, we're in a different dimension. Like the Other Side, I'm thinking. I don't know if it will have prison-world-like restrictions, but we'll see."

Mila nods, taking his outstretched hands offered up to her. She tries not to think too much of the contact and the comfort it provides, letting out a deep breath as she prepares to be channeled. She had never been channeled before, especially by Kai. Bonnie always relied on her own magic or other magical sources to get things done, and Kai just siphoned whatever he could. This was different. They needed to use everything they could to breakthrough.

"When I do this, we'll be in each other's heads. I'll see everything in yours. You'll see everything in mine." Kai explains further, staring at her with sudden seriousness, almost like he was expecting her to back out.

"Guess this means I'll find out the truth about all those other things I don't know you've lied about," she responds, an anxious smile forming, and she tries to reduce the tension with a joke. "I'm convinced you've used my hair straightener without me knowing."

"I'm offended that you don't think this," he gestures to his styled, thick head of brown hair, "is natural."

"Whatever. Just get started." Mila snorts.

Kai hesitates, readjusting his grip on her hands. "Are... are you sure? I can try again without you."

"What? Are you worried I'm going to see something I don't like?"

"That, and I'm worried I'm going to see something I don't like."

"We probably are, but how is supposed to be us against the world if we aren't honest with each other?" Mila replies, tilting her head knowingly. Her echoing his previous statement makes him gaze at her fondly, his body visibly relaxing.

"Promise not to hate me and I'll promise not to hate you." He utters, one corner of his mouth upturning adorably.

"I promise." She whispers in that tone that she uses whenever she really means something, soft yet determined.

Kai nods slowly before allowing his eyelids to flicker closed. He pulls her hands closer and Mila sees his lips begin to move before she closes her eyes too, hearing the smooth murmur of his chant. They let each other in, and what they see is something that changes everything.

━━━━━

Kai stands just outside the window of the 1994 edition of the Salvatore Boarding House. He sees the people he has learned are named Damon and Bonnie, eavesdropping to gain as much information as possible before using them in his plan for an escape from this God awful prison world. Since the window is cracked, he's able to hear the pair clearly while they wander the kitchen.