16┃tattered vows

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

"YOU TOTALLY DIDN'T FAKE that," Kai sighed contently, a grin still upholding on his face. His finger loosely twirled a section of Mila's hair, eyelids almost fluttering close in bliss.

After what seemed like a lot of detours, they both had managed to make it to Kai's bedroom by the time the sun had completely set. Now, with the temperature finally risen to a comfortable setting and the snow melting away outside, only a thin white sheet was covering their naked bodies. Mila was still partially on top of him; her leg was hooked around his waist, her arm draped over his chest, and her head rested comfortably on his shoulder.

"Not this time." She agreed, but still having to subtly undermine him. She even patted his chest to prove further confirmation.

"I know you're lying," the heretic muttered, pivoting his neck so he could look down at her, "but it still annoys me."

Mila hums dreamily, utterly relaxed in her current position. "That's why I do it."

His tongue prods the inside of his cheek, a smirk beginning to form as an idea forms in his clever yet so easily twisted mind. It starts with him simply resting his hand just above her knee, a casual gesture that doesn't disturb her in the slightest. Her eyes stayed closed and the peaceful expression remained, completely oblivious to Kai's scheme.

"You seem awful complacent for someone who was just pleading for me to touch them." His hand slowly begins to rise, brushing along her smooth skin in a way that sent her nerves into a frenzy. The slight upturn of her lips dropped at the sensation.

"You were doing the same." Mila resorted, her voice losing the teasing edge it had prior. She knew what he was trying to do now, and she refused to prove his point for him.

"Yes, but I'm always open about how much I want you. You, on the other hand... well, let's just say it takes some motivation to get you to admit how you feel." Kai whispers seductively, his hand done making its way up her thigh and threatening to dip between her legs.

Mila stops him before he gets the chance, reaching down to clamp her hand around his wrist. She finally opens her eyes, overwhelmed by how close he was, their faces right next to each other. She clears her throat, remembering that they were in an indirect argument, one she intended to win. Despite the passionate day they spent together, Mila didn't want to add to Kai's humongous ego more than she already had today.

Her brain immediately conjured up a way to redirect his train of thought, using his plethora of grudges against him. "What exactly are you doing, Malachai?"