02┃remember to remember me

CHAPTER TWO

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

THE TYPICALLY-PERSUASIVE vampire had gotten absolutely no where with Alyssa Chang. After leaving Hope alone to perform an astral projection spell, an attempt to converse with the trapped family in the 2018 prison world, Mila decided to take her chances with the culprit. She wondered down to where they were keeping the cunning teenage witch prisoner, finding the girl sitting calmly behind the bars of a cell.

She had tried playing nice, attempting to even seem sympathetic, but to no avail, Alyssa kept her mouth shut on where she had hidden the ascendant. Throw in a few snarky comments and a defeated game of I Spy provoked out of boredom and ending with Mila muttering "I spy a manipulative little witch bitch", and that about summed up the eventful hour she had spent down here. It was clear that she wasn't going to be able crack Alyssa herself, but she refused to leave yet, clinging onto her stubbornness.

"No luck?"

Mila twisted around at the voice, blowing strands of her loosely curled hair out of her face. Her striking eyes finally get a clear sight of Joshua approaching her. "Nope. I think she's the most unbearable person I have ever met."

"I'm still here," Alyssa chimes in from behind her.

"Well aware," Mila responds, not bothering to hide her disinterest, and this provokes the mysterious acquaintance to smile the same way he looks at her: knowingly. He acts like he knows her. It's subtle, but it's there, taking ahold of her mind.

"Don't worry," he tells her, taking yet another step closer to her form, which leans against a nearby brick wall. "Everything will go as planned."

"It's Joshua, right? You said we met before. When was that?" She questions him, unable to contain her curiosity.

His bewitched grin widens at her persistence to understand him. His expression could have been classified as charmingly boyish if it wasn't for the devilish glints in eyes where the pupil nearly overtook the sparkling blue of his irises. He was a complete enigma to her. She wasn't sure what to make of the very little she was able to read from him. So, yes, she wanted answers. She wanted clarity.

The so-called expert of prison worlds closes the rest of the distance between them. Mila was shocked she wasn't uncomfortable with the lack of personal space; she knew she would have been with anyone else she had just met. If anything, she felt an inexplicable ease, one that urged her shoulders to relax and for her to exhale a quiet sigh of relief. The strains of her life disappeared in one simple move.

"You really want to know?" he murmurs; his head tilts down so they could properly maintain eye contact. Mila nods with an unfathomable certainty, not trusting herself to speak without getting her words jumbled.