10┃blood ties

CHAPTER TEN

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

DEEP WITHIN A PEACEFUL SLUMBER, Mila was unaware of the confusing world around her. Nighttime cloaked the picture-perfect neighborhood, casting shadows and allowing darkness to spread throughout every part. Due to the lack of light, it was rather easy for her exhausted body to fall asleep, but the creaking of her bedroom door opening effortlessly interrupted it.

Mila groaned, twisting underneath the chalk-white sheets that protected her from the chilly breeze coming from an open window. Her eyes squinted from the light flooding into her room from the hall, which was flipped off with a switch right before he stepped inside. He closed the door behind him, more quietly than his entrance, and she sat up on her elbows, her face twisting with annoyance.

"Kai, for the last time we are not sharing rooms. There's a perfectly good bedroom for you down the hall. Or in any of the other houses."

"I'm not here about that. I got the hint when you threw a lamp the last time I tried to sneak in." Kai whispered, walking towards the edge of the bed. "I couldn't sleep. So I was thinking–"

"You were thinking that whatever it is couldn't wait until morning? I know we're technically dead but I still need sleep, Kai." She muttered, sitting up fully, a pout morphing her lips.

"God, I forgot how grumpy you are when you're tired. For your information, it couldn't wait. I had to test this out."

"Test what out?"

"Okay, so, you know when you've just turned and you have a crazy bloodlust you don't know how to control and everything is amplified about you which makes you ten times more unstable? But it's fine because then you get a handle on it — well for most vampires — and you learn how to control your urges?"

"Thanks for explaining vampirism for me. I'm going back to sleep." Mila moves to flop down back on the mattress, but Kai grabs her, pulling her back up.

"Mila, wait. Come on. I'm onto something. Do you feel it?"

"Feel what?"

"The bloodlust. The craving for warm, thick human blood right from the vein."

"No, but we're not exactly around any humans."

"Still, you would still feel hungry. We've been without blood for awhile. We would have started feeling very weak by now. Maybe even started desiccating." Kai explains, grasping her attention completely for the first time that night.