09┃rescue missions

CHAPTER NINE

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

MILA FOUND HERSELF FEELING rather anxious when she approached the front door. She had been inside Stefan and Damon's home more times than she could count over the years, and yet, nervousness latched onto her. It was somehow different than all those other times. Although, even in her foreign state, she understood it had something to do with who was waiting for her on the other side.

A fist was raised to knock when the door swung open before her, and Mila was instantly greeted with excited, wide eyes and a beaming smile. She lowered her arm, a bit startled by the siphoner's sudden appearance, but quickly relaxed when she realized he just in that hyper, childish mood she's seen a few times before.

"Hi! Damon told me you were coming. I'm glad you're here. You look really pretty today," Kai blurted out, verbalizing every thought that came to him per usual.

"Get out of the way, Romeo." Damon showed up and pushed Kai to the side, giving her enough room to actually enter the house.

"Uh, thanks," Mila muttered once she was inside. She still was getting used to Kai's company. Damon closed the door behind her, mentioning that they were working on fixing the ascendant that was still in numerous pieces.

"Are you close to getting it working?" Mila asked. She followed Damon as he led her to the other room, Kai at their heels.

"Almost! I just have to get the gears working and reshape some of the parts. You should have seen the condition it was in before I started on it. It was about as dismantled as my brother when I killed him. Huh. I feel guilty saying that now. This is going to take some getting used to."

"You're going to be the dismantled one if you don't stop yapping. Mila, I'll be in kitchen with Elena. Please try to keep Kai focused on his actual job."

With that announcement, Damon left the both of them in the open living space. Being familiar with the home and all of its rooms, Mila made herself comfortable in one of the two cushioned chairs. The red curtains accompanying the windows were drawn, allowing sunlight to flood in and effortlessly light up the room, but she was sitting at the right angle so it didn't blind her.

In the center of the room was the pool table she had played countless games on, but it was cleared so Kai could use it to work. Various tools were laid out on a cloth, along with the pieces of the ascendant, and it was clear from the rather organized arrangement that Kai was approaching this skillfully. Of course, soon Kai made his way around the table, blocking her view of his work with his back to her. That didn't stop him from making conversation, though.

"Hey, did you know that I made a Twitter? CobraKai1972 — you should follow me. I'll follow you back, of course."

She stopped examining the tray of liquor on the table beside her that Damon has set out in just about every room. "You made an account? Really?"