33 // It Was Always You

Chapter 33 - It Was Always You

"Woke up sweating from a dream

With a different kind of feeling

All day long my heart was beating

Searching for the meaning

Hazel eyes, I was so color blind

We were just wasting time

For my whole life, we never crossed the line

Only friends in my mind

But now I realize, it was always you"

"Good practice today." James told me on a Tuesday in February when we got out of the river, after our rowing practice, when we were still on our rowing suits. "Do you need help placing your shell on the boathouse?"

I nodded in agreement. "Thanks."

James and I walked towards the boathouse in silence. We grabbed the shell and tried to place it on its respective place but the damn boat was still wet so it slipped out of our hands. Before it could do any harm, however, James grabbed it firmly at the same time he crashed into me.

"Sorry." We said at the same time. I smiled and after another try we managed to settle the boat on its place.

"Thanks." I said again, glancing up at James who was staring back at me with a serious expression on his face.

"Go on a date with me." He said, and before he finished talking his lips twisted into a smirk. If I still had the shell on my hands I would drop it right away. My eyes widened and I was pretty sure I blushed.

"W-what?"

"Go on a date with me, Kiara." He repeated and I swallowed, trying to ignore the shivers that were running through my spine and my heartbeat that was beating faster.

"Okay." I said in a hesitant voice. "Okay." I repeated again in a more confident voice.

James' smirk grew wilder.

"Great. On Saturday?"

"Sure."

My heart was bumping in my chest and my hands were sweaty and I didn't even know why.

"It'll be your first date, right?" James made a cheeky grin.

"I-I... yes." I sighed in frustration. "Damn, James, you're so annoying."

"But you like me." James pointed out.

I didn't reply.

-------------------------

"You're going on a date with James?" Lori excitedly asked me when I told her, Roxy and Ellie about the invitation James had made me, after going to the boathouse with him and returning to the river's edge.

"Yes. But it's just a friends date." I assured them.

"Hum-hum." They nodded trying to hide their smiles. I playfully rolled my eyes at them.

"Where are you going?" Roxy asked.

"I don't know. We haven't defined that yet." I answered.

Ellie hadn't told anything yet but her grin was scaring me. It was a grin as big as the Cheshire cat grin, and that was not a good thing.