26 // Stuck in a Cable Car

Chapter 26 - Stuck in a Cable Car

"I'll be trouble

You're so nice

And if I chose to listen

I wouldn't take your advice

I'm really sorry

Feeling sorry for myself again

But this isn't working

I wish I could talk to you

You think I don't care but I do

Yeah I do

When you leave me

You think I don't care but I do"

Walking through the forest was tiring, but rewarding anyway. During the morning we watched the nature's beauty: how the trees bowed due to the light December breeze, how the animals hid in the bushes, watching us through them with their prying and restless eyes. Then we came to a place where we watched foxes, deer, and even wolves. The last ones had always been fascinating to me: magnificent and terrifying at the same time.

Their eyes were wise and their grey fur was shouting for me to touch it. Wolves were my favourite animals: so beautiful and free, and so wild and tricky at the same time.

Somehow they reminded me of myself... and James.

I was walking near Dylan, Ellie and Rayla, listening Rayla and Dylan talking to each other. Aiden was not far behind me but fortunately he wasn't bothering me. I couldn't shake the sensation that he was looking at my back, though. 

Lunch finally came and we sat in a picnic area in small groups. I stayed with Ellie, Dylan, Rayla and the other two girls from our tent, Aiden was with his bad boy friends and Matthew with the popular group.

We ate sandwiches and drank from juice boxes and after lunch Mr. Jones announced we were going to continue walking through the mountain until we got to the place were the special surprise was.

It tooks us one hour to finally get there. Once I saw what it was my eyes widened and I gasped.

In front of us was a cable car system that was placed above the mountain and that would allow us to see the forest beneath us and the ocean.

"This is so cool!" Ellie exclaimed. I swallowed. It was not cool. It was freaking terrifying. I was afraid of heights!

"Do you think people that don't want to go can refuse to go?" I questioned.

"Why would you refuse?" Ellie asked in return.

"I'm... afraid of heights." I said in a hesitant voice. This was way out of my comfort zone.

"But... it's such an incredible opportunity! Just imagine the view!" Ellie said and I was afraid she was going to say something like that because inside of me there was a tiny little desire of experience a journey inside a cable car, especially when there was such a fantastic landscape at stake.

"I know but still... I'm not very comfortable with it." We were in a queue now, groups of two students starting to go into the cable cars. Was I the only one afraid of heights, for God's freaking sake?

"But you want to go anyway, don't you?" Dylan asked me with a knowing smile. He did know me better than anyone else. I bit my lip.

"A small part of me wants... maybe I'm crazy." I shrugged.