3 // I'm The Man

Chapter 3 – I'm The Man

"I believe every lie that I ever told

Paid for every heart that I ever stole

I played my cards and I didn't fold

Well it ain't that hard when you got soul

(this is my world)"

After History class, which was a total bore as always, I headed towards my locker. I was picking up the books for the following class when I felt a shadow over me and saw a hand on top of my head. I looked sideways, seeing Matthew Clarke leaning against the lockers, a seductive smile on his face.

"Hey, beautiful." He said. I rolled my eyes. What did he want? I didn't reply to him, so he continued talking. "You're not much of a talker, are you? No problem, I prefer action too..."

I shut the locker door so hard it startled him. I thought about walking away without fighting, but as always, there was my mouth, disobeying me and speaking before thinking.

"The only action you'll be getting from me is when my fist slams against your face." After I said that, I turned around, almost running into the other most annoying guy at school, Aiden Stuart. He had his sneering smile on and his arms crossed against his chest. I dodged him and followed my way, a bad feeling starting to form inside me.

-------------------------

"What's wrong?" Dylan asked when I got near him at lunch hour. We were outside the school's building, where there were tables for students to have lunch. As always, Dylan realized there was something wrong with me.

"Probably nothing...it's just that... all of a sudden Matthew Clarke and Aiden Stuart found something interesting in me."

Dylan frowned, but then he smiled "Getting popular, eh?"

"Dylan..." I censored.

"Okay, okay...maybe they're sick of popular girls?"

"And they had to choose me? Both of them...oh no..." I said, noticing that Matthew was getting closer.

"Hey, Kiara, I'm sorry about that thing earlier...but...would you like to go out with me sometime?"

I gave Dylan the "I told you so" look. He shrugged, and I think Matthew interpreted it the wrong way.

"Are you asking for his permission?" he asked. I mentally sighed.

"Just go away."

"Is that...a no?"

"It sure as hell isn't a yes!" I shouted. Dylan was observing us, amused. I honestly didn't know how he could find that so amusing.

"Oh..." Matthew meditated for a while, figuring out if he should say something else, but then he decided to walk away, for the sake of my happiness.

"Well that was fun!" Dylan stated.

"Shut up" I spoke "they're definitely up to something. And I'm going to find out what it is."

-------------------------

Matthew's POV

"It sure as hell isn't a yes!" Kiara said. Dammit, Brianna was right. She was tough. The maximum resistance of any girl while interacting with me was one conversation, never more. But I had tried twice with Kiara and gotten nothing. I had to readjust my plan. Luckily, bad boy Stuart wasn't doing so well either. From what I had heard, Kiara had fought with him during History class. Therefore, I happily turned around and got back to my group.

"What did you want from that girl?" Leo, a friend of mine, asked.

"I just think she's interesting." I replied, aware that I shouldn't tell them about mine and Aiden's bet. Luckily, none of them asked any more questions. Instead they started to talk about some Rita Johnson, which, according to them, had the best bikini photos on Facebook.

-------------------------

Kiara's POV

In that afternoon I returned home with Dylan, as he always used to give me a ride home in his car. As soon as we got to our street, I saw Rusty, my Akita dog, jumping enthusiastically on the lawn.

"It's unbelievable, I never see Rusty standing still." Dylan exclaimed, parking the car in front of his house. Dylan practically owned Rusty as well. I removed my seat belt and exited the car. Rusty came running to me, almost knocking me down.

"Hey, big guy!" I laughed, stroking his fluffy fur.

"At least you have one more wooer besides Aiden and Matthew." Dylan joked.

"Yeah, you're right. And out of the three of them, I'd choose Rusty!"

"I bet the other two would be super jealous." Dylan laughed and I slapped him in the scruff of his neck, not too hard. Then Dylan crouched and petted Rusty. The latter, excited, licked his face with his big tongue and jumped on top of him, causing both of them to fall down, Rusty over Dylan.

"Hmm, come to think of it, I think Rusty's better off with you." I laughed, as Dylan frowned. Afterwards he showed his naughty grin and I regretted saying it.

"No, Dylan, I didn't..."

He got up and ran after me, followed by Rusty, bouncing happily on the lawn. Dylan grabbed me easily by the legs and carried me on his shoulder. Anyone watching us would think we were crazy. A boy carrying a girl who was kicking and laughing, followed by a jumpy and happy dog.

"Well, you can tell everybody

Yeah, you can tell everybody

Go ahead and tell everybody

I'm the man, I'm the man, I'm the man."

Picture in this chapter is Kiara and Dylan and the music is "I'm The Man" by Aloe Blacc ;)