1 // Wake Me Up When September Ends

Chapter 1 – Wake Me Up When September Ends

"Summer has come and passed

The innocent can never last

Wake me up when September ends"

Kiara's POV

It was late, and I was looking through my bedroom's window, thinking about nothing in general. Well, in fact, I was thinking about the 1999 movie "10 Things I Hate About You" and how I was so similar to Kat Stratford. I wish I could meet her, but, unfortunately, in my school there were only Barbie girls that couldn't think about anything but clothes, make up and boys. Sad, but true.

Through the window I could see the house next door and my neighbours' son bedroom. He happened to be my best friend, Dylan Gordon. I had to admit that he was cute, with brownish dirty blonde hair, and blue eyes.

Suddenly, a muscular body caught my attention, and it came from Dylan's bedroom. It took me a while to make the connection: that hot body belonged to my best friend. I shooked my head. I had seen him shirtless when we went to the beach once or twice, so why was I so surprised? It looked like he had been working out during the summer as we're now going to enter the final year at high school.

I jumped from my sofa before Dylan could see me as I really didn't want him to discover that I had been watching him. This was the final day of summer holidays and I wasn't looking forward for another year at high school, even if it was my last. Did I want to wake up every morning at 7 a.m? No. Did I want to meet the same old stupid students? Hell no. It might look strange from a bookworm like me, but reading was different than studying.

Well, but it may be best if I introduce myself a little more. My name is Kiara Raven, I'm 17 years old, I love reading and watching good movies and I absolutely hate make up and stuff like that, and especially girls that don't have nothing on their heads or boys that think they can play with girls whenever they want to. That reminded me of Matthew Clarke, captain of the football team. Total jerk. He had probably slept with every girl on the cheerleader's squad and he was one of those guys who thought he could always get what he wanted. I wish I could simply punch him.

I was preparing my school bag for tomorrow when I noticed mine and Dylan's signal: switching on and off the flashlight three times. Dylan and I did it whenever we wanted to talk. Our houses were close, so we could write on papers with big letters for the other to see. And, yes, Taylor Swift, we started doing that way before you put it on your "You Belong With Me" videoclip.

I sat on the sofa and looked through the window. There stood Dylan, smiling, with a shirt on, holding a paper in his hands which said "I'm kinda nervous for 2moro" written. I grabbed a paper from my notebook and quickly wrote "Me too" before I showed him. Then we continued our conversation via smartphone, as it was easier that way.

After a while, I said goodbye and went to bed, hoping that it would snow tomorrow so the school wouldn't open, even if today it was 86ºF all day. 

"Ring out the bells again

Like we did when spring began

Wake me up when september ends."

Picture in this chapter is Kiara's bedroom and the music is "Wake Me Up When September Ends" by Green Day :)