Egg

Im sorry, the name of this chapter is strange, I didn't know what else to put

A couple weeks later, it was announced that a Yule Ball will be taking place on Christmas Eve. I was excited. Even if I didn't get a date, I would be fine going alone.
That afternoon, I was sitting in the bathroom with Cedric, trying to figure out what to do with the egg. I recalled from the night it opened it sounded quite like a mermaid. Beautiful voices under the water, but horrible sounding, out of it.

Cedric was turning the egg around, trying to see how he could figure out what to do with it when he accidentally opened it. The bathroom filled with the horrid shrieks and I covered my ears.

"Shut that won't you!" I yell to be heard over the deafening noise.

"Sorry!" Cedric yelled and closed it.

Now I knew it sounded like a mermaid.

"Here, give me that" I say reaching my hands for him to hand me the egg. He is hesitant, but places the egg in my arms.

I walk over and begin to fill a bath.

"What are you doing?" He asks confused. I don't answer but once the bath is full, I lean over and put the egg under the water. I dip my head under as well, soaking my hair, and open the egg. It sings a beautiful song and once I am through listening to it, I pull my head back up. Cedric looks very confused.

"Mermaids." I say.

"What?"

"Just come here" I say and motion that with my hands. He walks over and looks at me like I'm crazy. "Now put your head under, and open it"

He is hesitant but eventually does as I say. After listening to the egg's full song, he brings his head back up and pulls me into a hug.

"You're a genius y/n!" He cheers. I chuckle.

After him cheering about how genius I was for a few more minutes, we begin to talk about the tournament.

"So, what are you going to do, about the whole breathing under water thing?" I ask shifting to a comfortable sitting position on the cold floor.

"Not sure, but I'll figure it out" he shrugs.

"I'm sure you will" I say sarcastically.

"What's that supposed to mean?" He asks

"Nothing, just that you are one who tends to procrastinate." I reply.

"Uh, I think you're talking about yourself there" he shoots back. We both laugh.

"So, did you hear about the ball?" I ask

"Yeah, oh! I have a question for you regarding that" he says. I nod my head for him to continue. "We'll have you gotten a date yet?"

"They literally just announced it." I say.

"I'll take that as a no, but I was thinking, if neither of us could get a date, we could go with each other. As friends of course" he offers.

"Sure" I shrug.

"Then it's a deal, if neither of us can get a date, we'll take each other" he repeats our agreement and we shake hands to make it official.

"You probably won't be needing the deal though, right?" He says to me.

"Huh?" I reply.

If anything, Cedric would be the one who wouldn't be needing the deal. He was charming, handsome, funny and he was one of the champions after all.

"I think George Weasley has got eyes for you" he smirks.

"No, what? Shut up." I say. I can feel myself blush.

"Come on, you know you like him too" He says in a sing-song tone.

"Shut up. He probably doesn't like me in that way"

"I guess now we know why you weren't put in Ravenclaw" Cedric jokes. I roll my eyes

"I will be going now" I say standing up.

"No, no, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings" he says sarcastically.

"Whatever, who are you planning on asking?" I ask, sitting back down.

"Well, I do have this one girl in mind, Cho Chang" he says, a big grin has grown on his face.

"Yes, I do know her, 5th year, Ravenclaw?"

"Yeah" Cedric smiles.

"Well you should defiantly ask her, I am sure she'll be happy to go with you" I reply.

"I hope so" he sighs.

"Well, I do really have to go, seeya ced" I say and leave the bathroom.

"Thanks for the help with the egg!" He calls after me.

"No problem!" I call back.