Helicopter boyfriend

I sat in the library behind one of the shelves. It was 4:45, which meant my detention was in 15 minutes. I was dreading it.

How was I supposed to know such a cruel punishment was what I was going to be given.

"This is boriiiing" George whines from beside me.

"Then by all means, leave" I respond, my eyes fixated on my book.

"But I don't wanna"

"Then stay, I'm leaving for detention in a couple minutes" I state.

"What? No your not" he scoffs.

"Yes I am."

"No way! I'm not letting you." He protests.

"Well whether you let me or not, I'm going."

"Bloody hell, look at your hand! It's almost healed and now you're just going to rip open those wounds again?"

"Look, I have to deal with it, ok? Speaking of which, I have to be going now" I announce.

I stand up but George wraps his arms around my legs.

"God, you're so childish" I sigh.

"You knew what you were getting into when you kissed me at that party" he replies "and I knew that I was getting into someone who is stubborn and so hellbent on trying to convince everyone that she's ok. When in reality, she isn't."

"George it's going to be worse if I'm late, I'll see you later, ok?" I sigh.

"Fine." He mutters and lets go of my legs.

I lean down and place a kiss on his forehead then leave the library.

Before entering Umbridge's office, I take a deep breath and mutter,

"Let's get this over with."

"Miss Y/l/n, sit." She says in a sickly sweet voice.

I sit down and reluctantly take the quill she hands me and begin to write.

The seemingly healed cuts on my hand open again and blood drips down my wrist.

I bite the inside of my cheek to keep myself from gasping in pain and take slow, deep breaths.

This time the pain somehow seems worse and once I'm done it's almost unbearable.

"Dismissed" Umbridge sings.

I exit her office and once I'm a ways down the hall I sink down on the wall, breathing heavily.

I clutch my aching, bleeding hand and shut my eyes tightly.

I needed to regain my composure before going to see George. I couldn't let him see me like this.

My hand continued to throb in pain while I wiped off the blood with my sleeve. I took a few more deep breaths and then stood up.

Once I reached the Gryffindor common room George was inside pacing like a mom when her daughter missed curfew.

He made sure I always checked in with him after detention.

"Hey Geor-"

"She kept you late." He cuts me off.

"Yeah, I guess she did" I shrug.

"She shouldn't do that, I was worried"

"Calm down George, I'm alright. Look, at me. You shouldn't worry so much" I tell him.

"Can I see your hand?" He asks.

"You know, actually I should be off to bed so..." I point with both my hands to the door.

Big mistake.

I just practically showed my hand to him.

"See! You're not fine! This has to stop!"

"No, it's just a few more days. I'll deal with it."

"You shouldn't have to, it's torture" he protests.

"But I do, I have to go George" I sigh and give him a kiss on the cheek.

"I'll make Umbitch pay, you'll see" he says grimly.

"Yeah, you do that Georgie" I chuckle and then leave to go back to my dorm.

Maybe that would keep him from worrying about me so much.

The week went by quickly aside from the painfully long detentions. Everyday, I thought the cuts were healed, only for them to be ripped open again.

By the last night, I was sure there would be a scar left on my hand. She had kept me even later than previous nights and some of the blood that had run down my hand was dry. My hand was also trembling which made it quite difficult to write the sentences.

Once I was finished, she requested to see my hand again.

"Well, look like we've left quite the mark haven't we?" She smiles. "You'll be bearing this message for a long time and I hope that it reminds you of this discipline, now off to bed"

I clench my teeth and stomp out of her office. I wash off the dried blood in the washroom and then go back to my dorm, completely forgetting that I was supposed to go see George.

It wasn't a big deal, right?

Never mind, it was.

"Y/n? Y/n are you ok!?" I hear shouting from outside my window.

I sleepily get up and rub my eyes to see George on his broom hovering outside my window.

"Tell your idiot boyfriend to go away!" complains Charlotte who must've woken up from his shouting as well.

"I heard that Char!" He shouts.

"George why are you here?" I yawn.

"You never came to see me after your detention" he explains.

"Wow, you are a helicopter boyfriend" I scoff.

"What? What's that?" He asks.

"Shhh go away!" Charlotte groans.

"Meet me outside the common room" I sigh.

"Ok!" He replies.

I trudge out of the common room half asleep and find George waiting, not-so patiently, there.

"What's a helicopter boyfriend?" He asks immediately.

"It's, well...it means you're very protective and stuff" I shrug.

"I just don't want you getting hurt" he protests.

"I get that, but sometimes you take things a little too far..."

"How?"

"Well for starters, coming to my window in the middle of the night because I didn't come and check in with you after my detention" I explain.

"I- thought you were dead" he says seriously.

"What?!" I begin to laugh.

"Look I didn't know what happened so I assumed the worst" he shrugs.

"Wow, ok. Well, I'm fine, not dead. And I'll see you tomorrow"

"Ok, I'm sorry for being a.... what was it you said?"

"Helicopter boyfriend?"

"Yeah, that, sorry I just care about you a lot and I'm just trying to make up for how I acted before we started dating." he sighs.

"I get it, I'm sure I'm not the most perfect girlfriend either. " I assure him.

"Goodnight y/n" he smiles.

"Goodnight George, and maybe let me know before you come to my window in the middle of the night next time?"

"No promises."