Pogo stick

The fifth years were taking their O.W.L.S this week and the common room had become truly depressing.

They moped around, studying, reciting spells and some even crying from the stress.

"Charlotte, I'm going for a walk. I can't stand it in here anymore." I mutter as someone across the room starts banging their head on the wall.

"Ok, I agreed to help some of them study so I'll see you around." She replies.

I nod and leave the dreary common room.

I walk around the castle, savouring the fresh springtime air. Up ahead I hear some students cheering.

I walk over to see what was going on and there was some forth years jumping with a pogo stick.

"Where'd you guys get that?" I asked, smiling at their happy mood.

"Monty brought it!" A girl laughs, watching a Gryffindor boy fall off.

"Got it for Christmas and snuck it in" a Ravenclaw boy (who I assumed to be Monty) says, his cheeks giving off a slight pink tint.

"It's brilliant" I beam.

"You wanna try?" Monty asks.

"No, I'm good." I smile and watch as a Hufflepuff girl examines the pogo stick closely.

"How does it work?" She asks amazed.

She must be a pure blood.

Monty explains the physics and I raise my eyebrows. The best explanation I could come up with was 'the little rubber thingy in the bottom is bouncy and part of the stick does something that make it easier to bounce'.

A Slytherin boy jumps up and down excitedly, waiting for a turn with the thing.

"Well that's awesome, bye." I smile and give them a wave.

They all wave and turn their attention back to the Slytherin boy who was doing pretty well.

A bright smile stayed on my face as I continued walking. At least not all of Hogwarts was down in the dumps.

But things just went down hill from there.

I had gotten not even one hundred feet from the happy group of fourth years when Umbridge's shrieking voice echoed down the corridors.

"What is this?" She sounder horrified, as if she'd just seen a serial killer from one of those muggle horror movies.

"It's uhm- Er- one of my C-Christmas gifts professor" Monty stutters.

"Well you are not supposed to have it here! Surely you should know that! I will confiscate it at once!" She squeals.

"I-" Monty begins but I hurry back over to the group who had all dropped their cheery expressions.

"Monty you don't have to cover for me. It was mine professor." I state.

She looks at me with her beady eyes and then asks "What?"

"You heard me, I brought it to school and let them borrow it, it was truly irresponsible of me and I take all the blame." I explain.

All the students give me a confused look but I just shake my head. I wouldn't let Umbridge have the satisfaction of torturing another group of innocent kids.

"Well, I should've known, a unruly girl like you." Umbridge snarls "come with me to my office"

I give one last wave to the group of fourth years who are looking at me with sympathetic looks and Monty looks like he's about to say something but I just shake my head.

I follow Umbridge to her hideous office and sit down.

"I thought you would have learned your lesson before but I guess not." She spits "What is it with you girl? Do your parents not give you enough attention at home? Do you want to get that rotten boy's attention? Or is this your silly way of grieving for that Diggory boy?"

I anger begin to flow through me, getting dangerously close to the point of yelling. But instead, I take a deep breath and try to say something rational.

Wait- did I actually try to be calm? Pshh no.

"Well professor, I guess I just like to see the look on your face when you're angry. You're eyes bulge and a vain begins to show on your forehead, like right now. Quite funny, really. Do you have a camera so I could maybe, snap a picture?" I grin.

Ok, so maybe that wasn't very smart of me, but I'm graduating anyways, right? Yeah, whatever. I don't really care anymore. She can torture me all she wants.

"You will not speak to me that way!" She shrieks.

"Would you prefer it in Spanish?"

"Miss.Y/l/n, I have tried to convince you to behave, but you still will not comply," she sighs "one more mishap and you will be expelled"

This took me by surprise.

Surely she wouldn't actually expel me? The twins had done much worse things in the past and they were still both here. No, she wouldn't dare to.

"So...are you going to punish me?" I ask.

"No, I will just give you a warning about your expulsion."

Strange....

"Oh, and your...thing will be disposed of." She gives me an evil smirk.

Excuse me what?

"You can't do that." I say quickly.

"Hmm?"

"It's Mo- my property. You don't have the right to just- throw away my property!"

"I remind you of your possible expulsion miss,Y/l/n." Umbridge sings.

"Fine" I mutter through clenched teeth.

"You are dismissed." She says and I get up and leave.

Outside, all of the fourth years were waiting.

"You didn't have to do that." Monty mumbled.

"It's alright and I'm really sorry." I sigh.

"Why? You took the blame for me and you barely know me. Did she use the quill? My older brother got the quill, he says it's awful" Monty rattles on.

"No, she didn't use the quill...but your pogo stick has to be destroyed" I say looking down.

"Oh," he sighs "it- it's fine...but still, thank you! You didn't have to do that and- luckily you didn't get the quill"

"Yeah. I'll see you guys around" I nod to them.

They chorus thank you's as I walk away, back to the common room.

What was Umbridge gonna do? Expel me for a couple weeks? It would be outrageous. Yeah, she most definatly would not.

But what if she did? What would my parents say? What would everyone say?

Ok so this was just a filler chapter but I might update later idk.
ALSO- I just read 'Dear Fred' and I think something is wrong with my eyes bc they keep leaking...
Anyways hope you guys are having an amazing day :)