2

MASK ON
—2. New school, New Alex

On the sidewalk near where her mother was unpacking their belongings from the moving truck, Alex stood near them, taking hits from a dab pen

Rolling her eyes, Georgia turned to look at her oldest daughter. "You know, instead of just standing there and getting high, maybe you should help unpack this crap from the truck."

Alex walked forward, turning to look into the truck. "But there's only one more box left. Ginny can get it," She commented, causing Georgia to scoff.

She snatched the pen from her daughter. "Give me that," She demanded and Alex smiled, watching as Georgia took a hit of it herself, "Don't think I don't know what you did back at that gas station. What if the cameras saw you?"

"There weren't any cameras. I made sure of it. And it was only a boy working. He won't be able to give a description of me. He looked like he couldn't even spell his name," She explained and Georgia sighed in defeat, "I got like eight hundred. You want half?"

Georgia nodded and wrapped her arm around her daughter. "You're too much like me that it scares me," She commented, earning an amused look from Alex.

Alex turned and watched as a blonde woman stepped out of her car across the street. Soon after that, a boy who looked to be Alex's age stepped out of the passenger's seat.

"I wanna know what the hell you were thinking smoking weed on the side of the road in clear view of everyone. Neighbors, the cops...Seriously, I wanna know what was going through your brain!" The woman shouted at her son angrily.

"Well, it's legal now," He answered, causing Alex to quietly laugh.

"Not for you, it isn't!" She snapped at him and pointed in the direction of their front door, "You get inside that house. You are grounded."

The boy stared at his mother for a moment, too high to truly comprehend what was going on.

"Acknowledge me, dammit!" She shouted angrily.

"Alright, I'm grounded," He answered with a smile on his face, walking in the direction of the house.

Suddenly, he stopped and turned to give his mother a curious look. "Hey, but when's dinner, though? 'Cause I'm really hung."

The woman ended up screaming at the top of her lungs, causing Alex to laugh as she turned to her mother. "This is gonna be a fun neighborhood to live in."

"You're telling me," Georgia agreed, the two of them turning to wave at the woman, who awkwardly waved back.

Laughing quietly, Alex walked back into the house, deciding to check out her room.