9

MASK ON
—9. Us Against the World

  Not too long after Kenny had died and Georgia had learned about what he had dared to do to her daughter, Georgia felt the need to teach her daughter how to defend herself, just as she had been taught at her age

While Austin and Ginny were at school, Georgia stood in their home with Alex, who held a gun in her right hand. She stood behind her daughter, who seemed to smile and feel a rush as she held the gun.

"Two hands, buttercup," Georgia told her daughter, guiding the girl's hands to help her hold it correctly, "Thumb there. Index finger right on the trigger until you're ready to pull. It's more accurate that way, and while we might live in Texas, we sure as hell ain't cowboys."

"Where did you learn how to do this?" Alex asked, turning to smile at her mother.

"When I was gonna become a Blood Eye. It was this biker gang I met on the road after I ran away from home. It was when I was with them that I met your father," She explained, both of them beginning to smile, "You need to learn to defend yourself, buttercup. And this is the best way to learn. Try aiming at something."

Alex nodded, grasping the gun in her hand. She pointed at a picture of Kenny and Georgia that hung on the wall. There was no point in getting rid of his stuff, after all. They were moving after the funeral, anyway.

Georgia smiled, noticing the smile on Alex's lips as she held the gun. She knew the look all too well. She had worn the same expression when she learned how to use a gun.

"Powerful, ain't it?" Georgia spoke up in a low whisper and Alex nodded, "Now, shoot."

Without hesitation, Alex pulled the trigger. A gunshot echoed through the home and the moment the bullet hit the framed-picture, the gasp shattered and the entire frame fell off the wall.

Georgia smiled at her daughter proudly, only to watch Alex walk over to the picture frame. "Careful, there's glass everywhere."

Her smile faded as she watched Alex stop in front of the broken picture frame. She looked down at it with an unreadable expression. She tilted her head slightly, just before pointing the gun at it once more.

"Buttercup..." Georgia trailed off uneasily, "It's already broken. What are you doing?"

Georgia practically jumped in fright as Alex shot the picture of Kenny three more times. "Alex, Alex, stop it," She pleaded, watching as the girl wasted the rest of the bullet shooting the picture.

Tears rushed down Alex's face and her chest heaved as she began to stomp on the picture repeatedly, beginning to sob. She finally bent down, taking a hold of the picture. She smashed what remained of the frame on the wall, just before tearing the entire picture to pieces.