3

MASK ON
—3. New Friends

That day, Alex found that she had most of her classes with Kaden, which was she was thankful for

That day, Alex found that she had most of her classes with Kaden, which was she was thankful for. In English class, the teacher ended up making them write a short open response on paper about what they did over their summer.

Alex simply sat there, however, not thinking it would be right for her to write how she spent her summer packing all her life into just five boxes, attending her step-father's funeral, and celebrating with her mother after his death.

As she doodled on her paper, she turned, finding the boy sitting in the seat to her left staring at her. The moment she looked directly at him, he looked away nervously. "Can I help you?" She asked him with a polite smile on her face.

"Sorry, I was just, uh..." He trailed off awkwardly, "Nevermind."

Alex chuckled quietly and nodded her head. She turned to face the front once more, only to feel another pair of eyes on her.

She looked behind her at Kaden, who sat in the seat diagonal to hers.

He looked back at her and Alex smiled slightly, just before looking away.

A few of the other boys in the back scoffed and rolled their eyes at the sight, clearly knowing something Alex didn't.

_____

  Before lunch, Alex was placing some of the textbooks she had received into her locker. She sighed and closed it, only to groan in annoyance when she saw the boy who lived next door to her standing there.

He was eying her closely, the slightest of smiles on his face.

"Stalker much?" She asked him, scoffing in disgust.

"I'm the stalker?" He retorted as he smiled in amusement, "Last I remember, you and your mom were harassing me for weed last night."

"That was my mom, not me," She pointed out and Marcus smiled in response.

"What, you don't smoke?" He asked her curiously and Alex took a step toward him.

"Of course, I smoke. Who doesn't?" She answered and let out a large scoff, "Not much to do when my mom moves us to shitty small towns like this one."

"It's not that shitty," He complained, a part of him looking offended.

"It is. Well, the people seem to be, at least," She admitted, glancing down at his shirt, "Nice shirt. But it's not Wednesday."

"What cultural wasteland are you from? You've never heard of the band Wednesday?" He asked her and just as she was about to answer, he cut her off, "Give me a break. Grabbed the first shirt I saw this morning," He admitted, causing them both to smile, "You and your mom seem close."