23

MASK ON
— 23. Expelled

Alex was fourteen at the time, standing in a motel room with numerous boys much older than her

Alex was fourteen at the time, standing in a motel room with numerous boys much older than her. The boys sat at the table, playing a game of pokers. Some were in high schools while others were in college. However, Alex was not even in high school yet.

It was the summer before eighth grade and Alex was desperate for money. She stood off to the side, looking down at the wad of money she had collected from each of the boys as admission.

She stuffed it into her back pocket and turned, walking around the round table as she made sure everyone was set. She smiled slightly, moving toward the door when she heard a knock.

She opened the door, smiling at the sight of two more arrivals. "It's a five hundred dollar buy-in. It goes up every hour," She informed him and the boys nodded, not looking to be bothered by the price.

They were all rich kids, in the mood for some trouble that led them to gamble on Alex's side of town, which was known for its run-down motels and trashy people.

"You're looking about a hundred for the next deal and pot's at five-k." She explained, closing the door after she let them both in.

They immediately held out their money to each other, which they exchanged for game chips. "You live on this side of town, darlin'?" The boy asked, causing Alex's smile to fade, "You're way too pretty to be dealing with these lowlives."

"If only you knew," She muttered under her breath, trying to contain her smile. The poor fool didn't know that Alex was the one running the whole gambling ring in the first place.

"What's your name?" He replied as he moved closer to her, clearly interested in her.

"Mary," She answered, smiling politely despite it being a lie.

"Well, Mary, the name's Cole," He informed her, smiling back at her, "Maybe we could get to know each other after this game or somethin'."

"Where do you go to school?" She asked him curiously and the boy's smile became wider.

"Just graduated but I'll be going to UT Austin in the fall," He answered and Alex sighed in disapproval, "What about you, beautiful?"

Instead of answering, Alex backed away. She continued to smile and turned to walk away. "Have a nice night, Cal."

"It's Cole," He corrected her and Alex shrugged carelessly before walking away. He watched her walk away, an intrigued smile forming on her lips.

Alex smiled as well and walked over to where she had numerous bottles of alcohol laid out. She picked up a bottle of whiskey, about to pour a glass when she felt an arm snake itself around her waist.