13

MASK ON
— 13. Wandering Eyes

   It was morning time

It was morning time. Alex had just arrived at school with Abby, Max, Ginny, and Norah. She wore a smile upon her face as she walked through the hallway. However, she stopped when she looked ahead to see Kaden with Samantha.

Samantha was leaning against the lockers with him standing to her right. He was standing close to her, smiling down at her as she laughed about something he said.

"What a dick," Abby spoke up, letting out a large scoff.

"Don't worry," Alex assured Abby, smiling at the girl mischievously, "I got this."

The group of girls frowned, only to watch her remove her jacket. She handed it to Ginny, sending her twin sister a small wink before she began to walk down the hallway.

The group of girls watched in shock as every guy's head seemed to turn.

Ginny rolled her eyes at the sight. It was always like that and she hated it. It seemed as though whenever she walked into a room, everyone's head turned.

All the guys Alex had been with had loved that about her, to know that every guy wanted her but she was theirs. Kaden loved that most of all. That he had the girl everyone wanted all to himself. If only he knew.

However, with that Ginny knew also came Alex's boyfriends attempting to control every aspect of her life, viewing her more like property than a girlfriend. Ginny couldn't understand why Alex allowed herself to get with those kinds of controlling men, especially when she was a free-spirit who did whatever she wished.

As she walked down the hallway, she had even caught Marcus' attention. He was in the middle of talking to Padma when he turned, smiling slightly at the sight of Alex.

However, that immediately faded as he watched Kaden follow soon after Alex, smiling mischievously. Her plan had worked but in truth, it shouldn't have been something that she should have had to do in the first place. The fact that she had to worry about him pursuing other girls when she wasn't around. It was something no girl should have had to deal with and yet, Alex seemed unbothered by it.

Marcus couldn't understand it. Why would she want a piece of shit like Kaden when she could have any guy she wanted?

_____

That night, after school, Alex was sitting on the couch in Brodie's basement with Kaden's arm wrapped around her. Press sat to her right, playing Xbox while Ginny sat on the other end of the couch.

Alex turned and smiled, watching as Hunter, Brodie, and Padma rehearsed one of their band's new songs. Something occurred that made Jordan have to leave the band and Padma take her place.

She knew if anyone was in her position, they probably would have been jealous of Padma. Not just because she was involved with Marcus, but because all the boys there, even her own boyfriend, seemed to be eying Padma, who was gorgeous.