20

MASK ON
— 20. Incessant

After school, Alex had been forced to work, despite not wanting to

After school, Alex had been forced to work, despite not wanting to. She wanted to quit and she had even tried to, but Joe refused, claiming that her mother would skin him alive if he allowed her to do such a thing.

Max and the others were there but Alex hadn't even walked in their direction. She let Ginny deal with them and her sister did. She was talking to them more than doing actual work. However, while MANG wasn't distracting her from work, there was still someone else following her around the restaurant like some lost puppy.

"Do you ever take a hint?" Alex complained, rolling her eyes as she turned to see Kaden standing there.

"Please, Lex. Hear me out," He pleaded and Alex shook her head.

"Frankly, I don't want to, 'cause I know anything that comes out of your mouth is shitty lies," She complained with an attitude, earning an annoyed look from Kaden.

"Please, I'm sorry," He pleaded in a soft tone, grabbing her hand, "Just let me explain myself."

She shot him a glare, snatching her hand away from his grasp. She walked over to where Padma sat with her friend and wasted no time handing them their food.

"You need to stop with Marcus," She heard Padma's friend say as Padma sighed in defeat.

"Why?" Padma asked defensively, "It's fine. Stop worrying."

"He hooks up with you, but won't be your boyfriend? He sucks," Her friend complained and Alex tried to contain her smile.

Marcus was telling the truth when he claimed Padma wasn't his girlfriend.

She couldn't help but feel bad since she claimed the same thing about her and Kaden while knowing it was a lie. While they might not have been dating Kaden when she told Marcus it, it didn't mean she wasn't aware that Kaden was getting ready to ask her out.

"Plus, he's a sophomore," The girl continued on and Alex still listened to their conversation as she walked to another table.

"I don't want him to be my boyfriend. I like casual," Padma exclaimed but she knew by the girl's tone that she was lying. She just didn't want to lose Marcus, despite how indecisive he was with her.

"Now, that is some bullshit. Look, I just want what's best for you," Her friend complained and Alex sighed as she walked away.

"Alex, please—" Kaden suddenly spoke up once more and Alex turned to give him an emotionless look.

"Kaden, if you don't leave me alone, I will literally stab you with a fork so fuck off," She growled, rolling her eyes before she began to walk away.

"Caleb, no," She heard a woman tell her son and Alex turned to look at the woman. She was clearly not from around there. She was southern and as weird as it sounded, Alex felt as though she knew the woman.