10

MASK ON
— 10. Hostility

   It was the middle of the night and Kaden had collapsed onto Alex's bed, the latter on top of him, straddling his waist

   It was the middle of the night and Kaden had collapsed onto Alex's bed, the latter on top of him, straddling his waist. They both laughed and Kaden smiled as he moved her hair out of her face.

"Shh," Alex told him softly, laughing as she placed her index finger against his lips, "We gotta be quiet. My mom would kill me if she knew I snuck you in."

  Kaden nodded and placed her hands on Alex's lower back, leaning upward slightly kiss her. They continued to kiss as Kaden switched the position, making it so that he was on top. He began to kiss down her chest, the two of them finding themselves underneath covers.

____

"Alexandria!" Georgia had called out as she entered her daughter's room to find her still asleep.

The moment she heard her mother calling her name, Alex's eyes shot open. She looked around, sighing in relief when she found that Kaden had left before he could be caught.

"You're still in bed?" Georgia complained as she walked into Alex's room. She placed the pile of clean laundry down on Alex's dresser and groaned loudly. She walked over to the girl's curtains, opening them to allow some sunlight in, "What the hell is your window doing open? Are you trying to catch a cold? Time to get up. You've missed enough school this year. Seven days! And you haven't even been doing there a total of two months yet. The principal called me yesterday. You've been skipping classes and he said if you skip anymore, you're headed straight for truancy court."

"Tell him to check my grades," Alex suggested, groaning when Georgia snatched the covers off of her, "Maybe when he sees those, he'll let me skip as many classes I want. I got straight A's in every single class!"

"What about gym?" Georgia suddenly asked, causing Alex to glare at her, "Got you there, didn't I? Maybe instead of skipping gym to smoke in the woods, you might have a grade higher than a nine. How do you even manage to get a grade in the single digits?!"

"Leave me alone. Gym sucks. Exercise in general sucks!" she complained and Georgia rolled her eyes before leaving the room.

Groaning, Alex sighed and sat up. She grabbed her phone the moment it dinged and opened it to find a video sent to her from Kaden.

"Hey, uh, sorry for sneaking out on you. Didn't want to wake you up," He told her, beginning to smile teasingly, "You looked so peaceful and I didn't want to face the wrath of Georgia Miller."

Alex chuckled, playfully rolling her eyes. She tossed her phone back on the bed, standing up before she began to get ready for school.

____

  That morning, Alex sat at the kitchen table as her mother made breakfast. Ginny still hadn't come down, still sleeping after her mother's several attempts of making her get ready for school.