25

MASK ON
— 25. Leeches

An hour had passed and Alex was standing at the front counter, taking people's orders there

An hour had passed and Alex was standing at the front counter, taking people's orders there. A line had formed for takeout since all the tables were filled. It felt like forever until the line went down with only one person left.

"Didn't you and Padma literally just pay for the check?" Alex complained, rolling her eyes at Marcus, "Thanks for the tip. It's literally bigger than what I made during an entire shift."

"That was Padma," He assured her and Alex smiled slightly, "She really likes you. She's older than us but you're literally, like, her idol."

"And you're the piece of shit who was hooking up with her idol when she's in love with you," She retorted and Marcus shot her an annoyed look while Alex returned it with an innocent smile.

"You're no better. You have a boyfriend," He reminded her, causing Alex to quietly laugh.

"A boyfriend who views me like an object he wishes to always possess. And I hate his guts. But it's different with Padma. She's a great girl and you're constantly betraying her," Alex explained as she rang up a water for Marcus to make it look like she was actually working before Joe scolded her. Ginny was constantly conversing with Max while working. Alex was the only one who always seemed to be on task. She didn't want to ruin that by flirting with Marcus in front of the whole cafe, not while Max, Ginny, and the others were still there.

"Padma agreed to keep it casual. She should have known better than to catch feelings," Marcus explained, only to notice the way Alex smiled knowingly, "What?"

"You caught feelings the moment I kissed you for the first time and those feelings only grew stronger toward me since then," Alex reminded him and Marcus sighed, knowing she was right.

It annoyed him how she was aware of his feelings for her yet did nothing about it. "If you knew I liked you, why did you keep letting me come back? Why didn't you end things?"

"Why didn't you end things with Padma?" She retorted and Marcus shot her an annoyed look. He hated how she was always right.

"It's not the same and you know it," Marcus complained as he leaned closer to Alex, "I stay with Padma because she keeps my mind off of who I actually want. But what's your excuse? Why do you stay with Kaden when you know he treats you like his possession? Why do you keep stringing me along when you have no intention of breaking up with Kaden?"

"I don't know," Alex admitted and shrugged her shoulders.

Marcus laughed in amusement. He shook his head and Alex frowned in confusion. "That's a lie and you know. You told me before you were planning something. But what is it?"

"If you know I'm toying with you, why do you keep coming back?" Alex suddenly asked, causing Marcus' face to fall, "You changed the entire subject. We were talking about you and Padma, not me and Kaden. So tell me, Marcus, why do you keep coming back to me when you say all I do is treat you like shit?"