28

MASK ON
— 28. Numbness

Hours had passed since Marcus had fled when Kaden arrived at Alex's house unannounced

Ginny had been walking down the hallway, on the verge of going to Alex's room when she saw Kaden leaving Alex's room. She went to speak up, only to have Kaden walk past her and leave the house without speaking a word.

Ginny frowned in confusion and stepped into Alex's room, finding the entire room in disaster. Objects were thrown everywhere and it looked as though a fight occurred. She looked around and found Alex nowhere in sight.

Hearing sniffling in the bathroom, Ginny sighed and moved toward the bathroom. She opened the door and watched as Alex whipped around to face her.

Her face was bleeding and she held a cloth in her hand, frantically trying to clean it off as the that held it shook. Her neck was covered in bruises and she was silently crying, much to Ginny's horror.

What had happened?

Alex's mouth gaped open as she stared back at her sister, a part of her afraid of what Ginny was about to say. "What? No slutting shaming or rude comeback?" Alex spoke up in a venomous tone.

She scoffed, watching Ginny's eyes fill with tears as she tried to find the courage to speak up.

Alex rolled her eyes and moved toward the door. "The fuck you crying for? Get the hell out of here and leave me alone!" She snapped at Ginny and slammed the door in her face.

The moment she closed the door, Alex turned toward the mirror. Her eyes filled with tears at the sight of her beaten and bruised face. She knew the day would come where Kaden had laid a hand on her but she knew she couldn't have left earlier on in the relationship even if she wanted to.

She knew people like him. She knew if she tried to leave, he wouldn't let her. He'd constantly harass her. He was mentally ill, after all. She could just tell. He was manipulative and he had been her once. But due to his mother's marriage to a rich man, he was privileged in a way she wasn't. It meant if it was his word against hers, he'd always win. She was a nobody with a criminal mom and an absent dad. No one would believe her.

She sighed as she ran her fingers over the bruises on her neck, trying not to cry. She felt sick to her stomach at the sight of it. She knew even though she wanted to leave, she couldn't. It would only get worse from there.

_____

Days had passed since then and Alex did her best to hide the bruises. She did her best to avoid Ginny, who gave her a look of pity every time she saw her twin sister.

After all, it was her fault Kaden had done what he did to Alex. She had been the one to send Kaden to her sister's room, knowing damn well Marcus was in there.