24

MASK ON
— 24. Masking

   At the park, Kaden's car was parked in the parking lot with Alex sitting in the passenger seat

   At the park, Kaden's car was parked in the parking lot with Alex sitting in the passenger seat. "Why did you want to meet?" Kaden asked, turning to give Alex a curious look.

"I need money and I have a way of getting it. I just don't know how to go about it," Alex confessed, causing Kaden to turn to her curiously, "When I was fourteen, I had this poker thing going on at some motel. I made fast cash. I went to school with a bunch of competitive rich kids who all were desperate to take part. I think we could do it around here and make a lot of money."

"Poker games? Here? In Wellsbury?" Kaden responded, a surprised look on his face.

"No, in Boston," She corrected him and Kaden immediately felt interested in what she had to say, "It's not far from here. It'd be perfect."

"And you want me to do it with you?" Kaden asked, his eyes lighting up at the thought.

"Yes, why else would I be telling you?" She answered as if it were obvious.

Kaden sighed, leaning back in his seat. He thought about it for a moment before turning to her. "It's illegal, you know."

"Something tells me you don't care," Alex remarked, the slightest of smirks on her face.

Gradually, Kaden began to smile, despite trying to contain it. She was smart, smarter than he originally thought when they first started dating. "I want 50% percent."

"Forty," Alex argued, shaking her head in disapproval.

"Fifty," Kaden argued back and Alex turned to give him a stern look.

"Thirty-five," She replied, smiling at him tauntingly.

"Forty-five."

"Twenty-five," Alex retorted, continuing to go lower.

Finally, giving in, Kaden sighed in defeat. "Fine. Forty,"  He decided and turned to her, smiling, "You're lucky you're cute."

"I know," Alex responded as Kaden lightly grasped her chin. She hated when he called her cute or beautiful. It was constant and he only seemed to say it when he thought she was about to be mad at him for something.

She gave him a playful look as her teeth lightly grazed his finger, causing him to laugh. "Oh. Hey! One bite and you might just take out the school's basketball MVP."

Alex laughed, finally letting go. She turned to him, smirking mischievously.

"So what's the plan?" Kaden asked, smiling at her curiously, "Something tells me you already thought it all up."

Alex smirked, not saying a single word. "You'll find out soon enough," She assured him in a calm tone.

"Always so secretive," Kaden commented, smirking as he moved closer to her. He placed his hand on the side of her neck, lightly gripping it as he leaned forward to kiss her.