5

MASK ON
—5. Homewrecker

  That night, Alex found herself sitting in the passenger's seat of Kaden's car, the two of them eating fries and burgers

  That night, Alex found herself sitting in the passenger's seat of Kaden's car, the two of them eating fries and burgers. He was supposed to be in the grade above her, but due to all the moving, he had been forced to repeat sophomore year since he was so behind academically.

"I hope this isn't too lowkey for you," Kaden spoke up, causing Alex to smile as she took a bite of her burger.

"Nah, I like lowkey. I hate people knowing what I do in my private life," Alex admitted and Kaden nodded in response.

"Same," He replied, sighing as he turned to give her a knowing look, "I didn't tell my friends about this. They'd freak if I did."

"Why?" She asked, only to frown when he didn't answer.

"So, where in Texas are you from?" He asked, purposely changing the subject.

"Austin, then Fort Worth, and then Houston," She replied, causing Kaden's eyes to widen in surprise, "But that was just in the past few years."

"Damn. You move around a lot, even more than I did," Kaden replied and Alex shrugged, "Must be hard to, like, make friends and stuff."

"Nah, I'm pretty good with it. It's my sister who struggles with it," She informed him in a calm tone, seeing as though unlike Ginny, she didn't have a problem with constantly moving around.

"Have you had any boyfriends?" Kaden asked and Alex nodded, not going into detail with it, "And you weren't sad to leave them?"

"I got over it. I have commitment issues. I leave anyway before things can actually get serious," She replied, smiling as she turned to give him a playful look, "Plus, I usually have really bad taste."

"Why do you say that?" Kaden frowned, not knowing what she meant by that.

"I can't even count the number of times a guy asked me out on a date and I find out he already has a girlfriend," She admitted, causing Kaden to quietly chuckle as he turned to look out the window.

Noticing his actions, Alex frowned in concern. "What was that?" She asked him curiously.

"What was what?" He replied, purposely playing dumb,

"That look," She told him and Kaden smiled mischievously as he looked closer to her.

"I don't know what you're talking about," He argued and Alex stared deeply into his eyes as she tried to read him.

Alex groaned loudly and leaned back in her seat, the whole ordeal beginning to make sense to her. "You have a girlfriend, don't you?" She suddenly asked to break the silence between them, only to sigh when all she got was silence in return.

She was right.

"Why?" She finally spoke up, turning to give him an annoyed look, "Why are you on this date with me if you already have a girlfriend?"