𝕷𝖎𝖔𝖓

𝙅𝙖𝙢𝙚𝙨 𝙋𝙊𝙑

It was Christmas Eve and things couldn't be duller.

The only exciting thing that happened was Sirius running down stairs telling mum that Remus was coming.

That's how dull and boring things are right now.

I was sick of it being gloomy all the time, I wanted my best friend back!

And I was going to him back.

Of course I knew he'd push me away but I still found myself walking up the stairs and in front of his room.

" Sirius? " I said, just to be sure that he was actually in his room.

" What? " He replied.

" Can I come in? "

" Sure. "

I mentally smiled to myself before opening the door and walking in.

Sirius was sat on the floor with a piece of parchment and a quill.

" Hi ", I said, after a few seconds.

" What do you want? "

" I want to talk to you. "

" We have nothing to talk about, James. "

" Yes we do, you're just avoiding having to talk about it. "

" Really? I had no idea! "

" Look, I'm sorry about Regulus turning out to be a death eater but you must understand that I really didn't know. "

" I know. "

" Then why are you still mad at me, Sirius? "

" In all honesty? I don't know. "

" Fantastic reason, really you deserve an award. "

Sirius glares at me.

" And why, might I ask, didn't you tell me you were shagging Regulus?"

" Because I knew you'd react like this; badly ",

" I just- it's a bit much to come to terms to. "

" And I understand that Pads but, we can't keep avoiding each other forever. "

" I know, I know. "

" Friends? " I asked.

" Always. " He replied with a smirk.

He stood up and enveloped me in a huge embrace, all our quarrels being left behind.

" When? "

" When, what? "

" When did it happen! Come on I need details! " He exclaimed, pulling away from the hug.

" When did what happen? "

" You and Reggie! "

" Oh! Right, about mid summer-.. "

" How did it happen? "

" I- I don't know! I found him on the blacony looking really depressed and miserable, we talked for a bit- actually we talked for a really long time and that happened almost every night and then y'know- we went to my room and things just sorta escalated from there. "

Sirius smirk faltered slightly.

" Hold up, you said mid summer, right? "

" Yes... "

" JAMES FLEAMONT POTTER I HAVE BEEN IN YOUR ROOM AND MORE SPECIFICALLY ON YOUR BED SINCE THEN! "

I turned a dark shade of pink.

" I'm going for a shower, I now feel disgusting. "

I chuckled slightly as my best friend exited the room and walked over the window.

Potter Manor was beautiful, there was an amazing view of the woods guaranteed in every room, not to brag of course.

But then something caught my eye.

It looked like a patronus, it probably was a patronus but it didn't look like any patronus I'd ever seen before.

It was a lion.

I opened the patio door and walked down the stone steps that led to the woods.

I knew that it could possibly be a death eater trying to kill me but curiousity had gotten the better of me.

I followed the lion for a few more minutes until I found myself facing the younger Black brother.

" What the fuck...? " I asked, my voice trailing off.

" I realize it's not the most convenient way to try and talk to you but, it worked either way. "

" Why am I here? "

He sighed.

" Look I'm sorry, I really am and I know that isn't an excuse for any of the shit I've done to you, Sirius or the rest of the people I've fucked up but I just need you to know. The things said that night - the night at the astronomy tower, you have to know that I didn't mean it, any of it really. When Sirius first left he didn't just leave the house, he left all his responsibilities and expectations and put all of it onto me, just in one night. I had no choice in being a death eater, if I said no I would have either been killed by my parents or Voldemort, I was a coward. I chose the option that I hated most because I was scared, I was scared and alone. "

There was an off-putting silence.

" You're patronus is a lion? " I asked, raising an eyebrow.

" Out of everything I just said that was the one thing you point out? "

" Just answer the question. "

" Yes, James my patronus is a lion."

" D'y'know what that tells me? "

" What? "

" It shows me that you aren't a coward, far from it actually. That lion shows me how much of a Gryffindor you really are because you, Regulus Black are one of the bravest people I've ever met. "

A small but warm smile grew on his face.

I cupped his cheek with my hand and pulled in for a kiss but this time it wasn't filled with need or lust, it was filled with love and passion.

It was filled with sorrow and regret but that just made it ten times better.

" Merry Christmas, James. " He whispered after pulling away.

I hadn't realized how much I needed him until that moment, it felt like a necessity.

It felt essential.