Song of the Soul

A commission for the very kind CherriesAndCreme
I hope everyone enjoys this. Here's alpha and omega Gerard and Frank, a sweet and sometimes bittersweet soulmate AU.

Leaves crinkled and crumbled underfoot while Gerard made his way down the mildly busy pavements imbedded along the rows of various shops and dining restaurants buzzing with chatter from the influx of people making their way past the propped open glass doors. The scent of dark roasted coffee floated among the pleasant sweetness of freshly baked pastries, the smokiness of burger joints mingling with the concoction of appetizing scents. The autumn season caused the shops promising the warmth of smooth hot chocolate on craving tongues to become furthermore enticing when it came to chilly fingers safely tucked in pockets of knitted gloves to shield away from the growing chill in the crisp air. Gerard was counted among the many people filtering in and out of coffee shops for the soothing warmth as his fingers clasped around a paper cup of his own, french vanilla blending into the Hawaiian dark roast he savored every drop of.

Coffee wasn't the only reason he strode across the sidewalks. Gerard, after researching which had the best materials and setting, sought out a specific library. He was in desperate need of a pleasant environment where he could settle comfortably in a chair with his choice of literature, engrossed in the text without being constantly disrupted by careless rowdiness and severe lack of organization of the previous library he used to attend downtown. The owner kicked back or disappeared most times, hardly placing books in proper order to make a reader's life less difficult, and he rarely knew where his own material was if someone entered looking for a specific novel. Not the mention the clear shabby uncleanliness of the place only growing worse in time; Gerard needed new scenery, somewhere he could feel comfortable sitting in without his skin crawling from the accumulation of dust and mysterious stains soaked into the carpet.

Gerard located the library easily, his lips quirking up at the view he drank in while briefly standing outside the wide glass windows. He entered the library and glanced up at the bronze tinkling bell announcing his entry, politely propping the door open for a young lady to pass through. She thanked him, unwinding her scarf as tbe passed and emitting her ordinary human scent Gerard became accustomed to overtime. He stepped further into the place and admired the dark carpets complimenting the cherry wood of the bookshelves skillfully organized by color and what appeared to be alphabetical order if Gerard's sharper eyesight analyzed them correctly. He was pleased immensely by the warm fairy lights strung up along the walls, radiating a soothing warm glow over the nature themed murals painted into the walls encapsulating the beauty of blooming trees surrounded by tall grass, carvings in the interior structure, intricate origami birds and butterflies tied up to the ceiling to fall down gracefully. The place held the scent of new and old books, a homely and nostalgic smell filling Gerard's sense when he inhaled. The aura of the library was exactly what he'd hope for; tranquil and welcoming.

There was a surplus of people wandering around the shelves and occupying the computer lab portion all the way towards the back of the building, but the sound wasn't an overwhelming buzz ticking in Gerard's brain. It was hushed while still audible, balanced. Already, pent up stress began draining from him. Being a new university professor was no easy task, not when an entire crowd of people depended on your teaching skills to reach a pivotal point in their lives. Gerard's passion was to teach people and broaden their perspective, to instill the same enthusiasm he had about the ways of art and its many forms. However, even a passionate person had their limits, and grading final projects was a drawn out task causing his head to ache and his eyes to burn. Teaching five days a week with a minimum of thirty students in each class was a bigger bite than Gerard could chew, but at least he was inspiring them, he noticed it reflecting in the way they improved steadily over time and tapped deeper into their creativity. His students found him intimidating, so he heard, but they tended to think of him as a great professor despite being afraid of his intense eyes and serious conviction.