Chapter 6

A/N : Short one.

Back to school, another week in the home of the ravens. Things seem different today, Lucas seems popular, Brooke is really happy, and Peyton is mad. Oh, well not everything has changed then. I'm putting some stuffs in my locker when Nathan, followed by Tim as always, starts talking to me.

"Tay, who's that girl he's always hanging out with?" Nathan asks looking at Haley.

"Who knows? Why? You feel like slumming?" Tim jokes and I hit him.

"Hey girl, are you out of your mind?" Tim seems to suffer.

"Pussy." I scoff looking at his reaction. "And she's Haley. Don't mess with her or I'll mess with you, Superstar." I point at him and leave.

            After class, I'm walking towards my soccer locker room and I feel someone following me, so I turn around.

"P. Sawyer, you'll be the death of me." I chuckle seeing Peyton standing behind me. "Can I help you or something?"

"Well, not really but I might?" She almost asks.

"What could you possibly help me with?" I frown amusingly.

"Brooke told me you were weird Saturday night." She explains. "Maybe you need someone to talk to, and seeing you've been there for me recently, I thought maybe I could help."

"Really sweet of you, Peyton. I appreciate it but you know, it's just temporary, nothing to worry about." I smile at my friend.

"You sure? So, no jealousy because of Lucas and Brooke?" Peyton tries to find something.

"No, I wish it was as nothing as that." I chuckle. "If you want to know the truth, Peyton, it's my father. He'll be back in town soon; he's cheating on my mother who wants me to play cops to find out details."

"Ouch." Her face turns to a huge frown.

"Yes, it sucks. But it's nothing I can't handle." I reassure her.

"I hope so. And remember, only one call away." She points at me and leaves.

            After training, I make my way to my house slowly only to find Nathan sitting in front of my door.

"Hey." I say softly. "Been there for a long time?"

"I don't know.... I needed fresh air; my foot brought me here." He smiles sadly.

"Tough day being Dan's son?" I wonder.

"Whitey gave my spot to Lucas; I'm playing Small Forward now." Nathan states.

"Ouch. Must hurt pretty bad. Who suffered the most? You or Dan?" I ask.

"I feel like I've broken his dreams, like it'll never be good enough. And with Lucas in the team, my chances for a scholarship are getting thicker. I'm failing school, big time. I have no future without basketball..." Nathan starts to sob.

"It's okay, Nate. I am here for you; I promise I've got your back." I hug him and he cries even more.

"I just wish it could be easier. Dad being happy, Whitey liking me, Mom being home, school being natural..."

"I know it's hard and you're feeling lost right now. But you're going to find a way. Starting with school, there is a tutoring center with brilliant people who can help you. Be a part of it and make sure you won't fail again." I try to find solutions.

"Tutoring center..." Nathan seems to think quickly. "Isn't the place you've met that Haley girl?"

"Yes, and?" I frown.

"She is the best tutor, right?" He seems suddenly way better.  "Could you make her tutor me, please?" Nathan pleads.

"Why?" I harshly ask.

"You said she is the best, right? So, I need her to help me." Nathan explains.

"Nothing to do with Lucas?" I narrow my eyes.

"Not directly." I glare at him. "Please, she is my only chance."

"Fine."