Chapter 9

I exit the room slightly pissed off and make my way outside finding Haley on the way to the beach.

"Thought you were gone." I look at her.

"I needed some fresh air. I guess you need that too." She seems to see right through me.

"Yeah..." I sigh and sit next to her. "My best friend is a jerk and I'm sorry if I've put you in trouble by making you tutor him."

"Don't be sorry, I wanted to help him. I've got to face the consequences now even if Luke still doesn't know." Haley confesses.

"You didn't tell him?" I frown.

"I'm afraid he will hate me for that."

"I can talk to him maybe." I offer but she declines.

"I'm good, T. I need to handle it myself; I just need the right moment." Haley smiles sadly. "What about you? Is everything fine except that Nathan's thing?"

"Pretty much. I try my best to be good." I smile.

"Still no parents in sight?" She asks knowing it's a soft spot in my heart.

"You know it. Dad should be home soon through." I state.

"Ouch. End of your freedom." She chuckles.

"I bet I won't see him that much." I say sadly. "And it's surely better like this."

            As Haley is about to tell me something, Theresa yells my name in the garden, so I walk back to the house. On my way, I see Nathan who tries to talk to me, but I just walk past him ignoring his pleads. Once I'm in the house, Theresa leads me to a very drunk Brooke.

"Oh, Soccer Girl." Brooke walks to me with difficulties. "I'm so glad to see you."

"You're drunk." I state and she chuckles innocently.

"I tried to make it fun." She says to me with a smile. "It doesn't seem very fun for you, tonight. I could try to make it better." She flirts.

"Sure." I comment with a chuckle. "If you can stay alive on our way home."

"You're taking me home? Why?" She pouts. "I need to find Peyton."

            She walks to Peyton who is sitting in the stairs looking at some old pictures.

"Don't let me have another beer unless I beg you." Brooke says making Peyton look at her. "Same goes for boys. Except Taylor." She smiles at me.

"Let's pretend I'm a guy for the night, then." I roll my eye and Peyton chuckles at my comment.

"What are you doing?" Brooke wonders.

"Just wondering if we're all going to end up like Karen." Peyton says as I sit behind her and Brooke.

"Who is Karen?" Brooke seems lost.

"Lucas' mom." I tell her.

"Not with proper birth control, we won't." Brooke informs us with a cheeky smile.

"That's not what I meant." Peyton looks at her sternly and I laugh. "She was our age when the tape was made, Brooke. In a lot of ways, we're just like her." Brooke rolls her eyes and I start to think about it. "Don't you think it's awful how she just let Nathan's dad treat her like crap?"

"Yeah." Brooke agrees. "But honey, that doesn't mean we're like her. Maybe that means you're like her."

"Brooke." I reprimand her. "Time to go. I'm sorry, P. Sawyer. I'll take her home since your car is gone."