Chapter 11

Fathers against Sons game. Each year, it seemed to be the most depressing moment of the year but this time, it's different. My Dad is actually here, and he wants to play in the basketball game with his old friends. This is why I'm entering Coach Durham's office early this morning.

"Hey, coach Durham." I knock on the door.

"Taylor Harrison." He smiles. "What did I do to get so lucky?"

"I would love to see Coach Jones that charming." I smile back and he chuckles.

"Not his best quality, I admit." He winks at me. "So, what's up, Taylor?"

"Well, my Dad is home, and he wants to play in the Fathers Against Sons game. I told him I'm only a Soccer Player, but it doesn't seem to be a good answer to him." I explain.

"I could take you in my team for one game, Taylor. I know you've been training with Nathan since you're little. You must have ways." He winks at me.

"Wouldn't it be weird, though?" I frown.

"It's a nice moment where family members come to have fun, except for Dan maybe. But don't worry, it'll be alright."

"Thanks, Coach. My Dad will most likely repay you with some good wine." I wink and he chuckles.

"Have a nice day, Taylor."

"Have a nice day, Coach."

At the end of the afternoon, Coach Durham makes me come to the gym and gathers his team around him.

"Okay, guys. Let me introduce you, Taylor Harrison, even if I know you guys already consider her the best athlete in this gym." The guys laugh and Nathan side hugs me. "She will be training with us before the Fathers / Sons game."

"Really?" Nathan looks at me surprised.

"Dad really wants to show me he can still beat me at something." I roll my eyes earning a laugh from the team. "But don't worry, I'll be glad to be benched most of the time."

"She is actually good, Coach." Nathan winks at me. "Don't get used to her in the team."

I laugh at my friend and walk to the bleachers so I can look the team training. On the other side, I see the cheerleaders rehearsing and Peyton goes all mad at Brooke for no reason. I frown at the sight and decide to talk to Peyton later.

The day goes by fast and the next morning I decide to take a walk in the cemetery knowing I'll most likely find Peyton here. And indeed, she is sitting on a bench looking at her mom's tomb.

"I knew you'll be here..." I sit next to her.

"Were you the only one actually listening to me during all those years?" Peyton dramatically says.

"Might be." I chuckle. "I don't think Brooke remembers her own birthday, which is weird since she remembers mine."

"Aren't you guys born on the same day?" Peyton looks at me with an amused face.

"Exactly my point." I laugh.

"This girl... how do you want me to get mad at her?" Peyton wonders.

"I don't know and for the others... caring about someone else than themselves seems to be a bit hard but it doesn't mean they will not be there for you, P."

"You might be right..." She sighs. "I just wished things could be easier."

"We all do." I smile at her. "I know it sucks big time, the way she died, and all. But, please, don't think it's your fault. You have so much more to live, so much more to face, so much more to love.... Please, don't let yourself drown in dark thoughts, Peyton."

She doesn't say a thing but puts her head on my shoulder. We stay like that for an hour before I leave since my Dad is waiting for me.

"Guess who is going to get his ass beaten in the Fathers / Sons game?" I enter the house.

"Dan called me, already. I'm going to train with him for the next few days. So, watch out, little one." He points at me.

"Whatever you say, old man." I tease and he chuckles.

"Thanks for doing it for me, Taylor." He smiles.

"My pleasure, Dad."

I go upstairs and see Brooke on my bed.

"Hey there." I smile. "Does my father know you're here?"

"Yeah, didn't he tell you?" She frowns.

"Nope, but it's great to see you." I wink at her.

"So, Fathers / Sons basketball game, huh?" She chuckles.

"You heard it during training?" I ask.

"You mean at the same time you saw me getting shouted at by my best friend?" She frowns again.

"Brooke... Peyton is in a strange place at the moment, you should go to her. She needs you." I say and sit on my bed.

"What do you even know about it? Nathan might not be the love of her life, why is she getting mad at me?" Brooke hardens a bit.

"It's her mother death's anniversary, Brooke." I sigh and her eyes opens widely. "Right, you forgot."

"Am I the worst friend on Earth, Tay?" She leans against me with a sad face.

"No, you're not." I reassure her. "At least, if you go to check on her soon, you will not be. Otherwise...." I tease.

"Don't you dare." Brooke points at me and I laugh it off.

"So, what's new in Brooke Davis' world?" I ask.

"I don't know, I might have found a new boyfriend." She smiles.

"Really? Is Lucas already an old story?" I wonder.

"Nope, still him but I don't know how to get to him."

"Try books or Haley, they might help." I chuckle.

"Books? What for?" She frowns slightly.

"Never mind." I laugh.