Chapter 28

I've missed the Annual Boy Toy Night because of some away game we had once again, yet I had to spend the night with Julie, so I don't complain too much. I'm at Nathan's new apartment visiting for the first and I can feel him anxious.

"What is it, Superstar?" I ask sitting next to him.

"Do you feel like I'm pressuring Haley into sex?" He sighs.

"What? No, Nate. I assure you; I've never seen you do so." I frown. "Did she tell you something?"

"No." He looks at me with a strange look. "But she's got my number tattooed on her butt."

"What?" I do a disgusting face.

"Well, just above but still the same, no?" He looks confused. "I just don't get why she would get tattooed while she won't have sex with me."

"Look, Nate, I've known Haley for a long time. She's always said she would wait until marriage and all, it's not something she wants to do quickly or in a rush or just because she thinks it is what you need...."

"I totally get that, and I've told her but it's like she doesn't believe me." He looks at the ground.

"Does it hurt you?" I think I understand.

"A lot." He admits. "I love her, Tay. I don't want her to think I'm some kind of jerk who will sleep with her and run away."

"Oh my god." I smile proudly a tear coming to my eye.

"Are you crying?" Nate frowns at me.

"Almost..." I recover quickly.

"What for?"

"You're in love, Nathan." I smile widely. "I've always seen you being this tough guy around everyone but me, I've counted the days until you will finally be happy and in love. I've seen you screwed up so many times, but I knew it would be worthy. Because now I look at you and I'm so proud of you, you're fierce and independent, you've found a girl who will treat you right and love you the way you deserve to be loved. I'm so fucking proud of you."

            Nathan stands up and hugs me tightly.

"You know, I'll always be there for you, Nate. No matter what Deb and Dan will think, no matter what people will believe about you, I've been there from the start, and I'll always be by your side." I say in his ear.

"I love you too, Taylor." He whispers back.

"God dammit, Nathan Scott is in love." I whisper yell when we end the hug. "Best day of my life."

            This night, I'm having dinner with my mom and dad, we're talking about college and what I'm going to do next year when I will have a choice to make. Then, a shy knock on the door makes my father go to it. He comes back one minute later.

"I think you should go upstairs." He smiles sadly to me. "Brooke didn't seem to go well."

"Sure." I frown. "Thanks dad."

            I go upstairs and find a crying Brooke on my bed. I sit down with her and she collapses in my arm once again.

"What am I doing wrong, Tay?" She sobs loudly. "Why is everybody finding people they love and who love them back, but I can't? Why do I have to mess up everything every time?"

"Brooke... what happened?" I say holding her.

"I had a pregnancy scare. The test was positive, yet the doctor said it was a mistake. But I lied to Lucas because I wanted him to suffer like he made me suffer." I close my eyes trying to deal with that information.

"That's...."

"That's fucked up... I know." She cries even more.

"You know what?" I kneel down in front of her. "Take a shower, relax for a bit, I'm going to find you something to eat and some water. After that, we'll talk about everything if you want to, or you can sleep here, your choice."

"I'd like that." She nods sadly and I start leaving the room.

"Taylor..." She calls me back. "Thanks, for never giving up on me."

"No problem." I smile to the poor girl.

            The rest of the night is filled with Brooke telling me her side of the story. How hurt she is because of Peyton and Lucas, how scared she was when she took the test, how lonely she feels since we're not close anymore.

"Are you happy with that Julie girl, Tay?" She wonders.

"Very." I smile looking back at her. "But I know I have to enjoy every moment."

"Why?"

"It's her last month in Tree Hill." I explain. "She is going to college next month and we both agreed on breaking up once her time will come."

"But you love each other."

"That's exactly why we're doing it." I chuckle sadly. "We don't want to get upset because of what the other could do. We don't want to cheat; we don't want to lie to each other. Growing apart will break us more than letting each other go."

"She is lucky to have you." Brooke states. "You always know what to do to make people feel good even if you know it's going to hurt you."

"Yeah..." I sigh.

"I wish one day I could be good enough for you, so I could be that lucky girl too." Brooke whispers while falling asleep.

"I'm sure you will." I admit but she doesn't hear it. "Good night, Brooke."