Chapter 23

I'm walking with Haley in the school's hallway. She seems happy because she manages to shoot during her PE class.

"But I actually want to ask you something." Haley leads me to the library.

"Ask away." I chuckle.

"We want to plan something for Coach Durham with Nathan, and he said you could be interested in being a part of it."

"Of course. What can I do?" I smile widely.

"We want to find lots of people who can thank him for what they've become." Haley explains as we see Nathan on a computer.

"I'll make the top five I guess." I laugh remembering how great the old man has been with me last year.

"Let's work." Nathan winks and we start to do research.

            After a while, Haley decides to go for a walk, buying something to eat and to drink. I go with her since I really need to pee but, on our way, we see Peyton and Lucas kissing again.

"Unbelievable." I growl and walk away making Peyton and Lucas look at us ashamed.

"T! Wait!" Lucas walks behind me.

"No, Lucas. I was willing to give you two a chance to explain to Brooke, but this is fucked up, dude. Even Nathan wasn't that bad with girls!" I angrily whisper to him as we are still in the library.

"It is not what it seems like." He sighs.

"Oh, really? First in the hallway, now in the library. I wouldn't be surprised if you two slept together during your little trip last time." I chuckle madly and Lucas looks down guiltily. "Oh my god, that's great, Lucas. Just great."

            I exit the library and make my way to the soccer field. I quickly change and start training on my own. I decide to do some running exercises making it hard for me to breathe.

"You should try not to die today." Coach Jones walks peacefully to me.

"Coach..." I breathe loudly. "What are you doing here?"

"That's my field, Harrison, I'm taking care of whatever happens on it. Mainly when my best player tries to kill herself while running." He smiles a bit.

"I need to get away from bad thoughts." I state.

"You know, whatever makes you angry, there is an answer." He pats my shoulder. "You should ask your mom about that."

"What about my mom?" I frown.

"She used to have that same mad energy when she was angry." He explains. "Sometimes she was in that state for something she wasn't even part of. She hated injustice and seeing broken people."

"You knew my mother?" I wonder.

"I was training the athletics' team before. Your mother was one of the best. You have that from her, speed, running skills, fighting spirit..." He tells me.

"So, it's not a bad thing? To get angry like that?" I ask.

"Not if you learn how to control it." He chuckles. "Give yourself time, Taylor. That's the most important part."

            He leaves and I finish my finishing exercises in a calmer way. Then, I go to the shower and I drive back home. I spend some quality time with my parents as we play some games and talk about life. Suddenly, my phone rings. Nathan.

"What's up, Nate?" I ask.

"You should come to the hospital." He says worriedly. "Keith and Lucas had an accident."

            I explain the situation to my parents and drive to the hospital quickly. I ask to see Lucas, but the nurse asks me to come back tomorrow. I sigh and see Brooke crying with Keith and Karen. I guess she still doesn't know... I walk away and decide to go to Peyton's house. I park in front of her door and wait five minutes before entering the house and going to the room I know well.

"I thought you will never come." Peyton states not even looking at me.

"Your room changed." I state back.

"Look, Tay." She sighs. "I'm truly sorry about what is happening right now, and you have the right to be mad at me, but you're one of my best friends, I need you right now."

"I know, P." I send her a small smile. "That's why I am here. Lucas being in the hospital must not be easy for you mainly with all the drama going on."

"Yeah..." She tries not to cry. "I've tried to tell Brooke tonight, but I couldn't. And then Lucas has an accident. The world is against my happiness, Tay, I swear."

"I think you're against your own happiness, Peyton." I say and she glares at me. "You knew you had feelings for Lucas, but you let Brooke fall in love with him anyway. You should have said something before things got screwed like that."

"You're right..." She walks to me sadly. "I'm so sorry."

            Peyton cries in my arms for the rest of the night.