Chapter 55

Thank you for reading and voting!

Author's Note and a bit of a disclaimer: Later on in this chapter, there are some terms written in French related to the French government. The name is made up (like I literally just made it up on the spot now, so it's not perfect), however, the first two words are related to and taken from Directorate-General, which is part of the term "Directorate-General for External Security", which is a real branch of the French government. I am in NO shape or form insinuating that my story or the details included are related to anything that the Directorate-General for External Security, or any part of the French government, is involved in either now or in the past; I just needed an authentic French-sounding title. Plus, this is a fanfic, so none of the events are true, as stated in the Intro page of this book. If anyone has a problem with me using those two words, please let me know and I will change it.

Also, the chapter is a bit long. I was thinking of separating it into two chapters but I figured it's been a while since I've updated the story, so I might as well leave it the way it is now, because who knows when the next chapter will be up (I certainly don't). And there are some INTERESTING things mentioned in this chapter that will probably bring up more questions as to where I'm going with this book, but allll will be answered in due time, unless something is just super mind-boggling and you don't get what I mean by it, then feel free to ask and I'll answer it to the best of my abilities without revealing too much.  

Also (x2), trigger warning, because this chapter gets a little heavy again and may include some disturbing details of child abuse near the end. The next chapter will be all light and fluffy though! Thank you as always for reading and loving this story as much as I do, it is GREATLY appreciated! <3 

Winter was arriving much quicker at Kadic this year. It was only mid-October, but the winds in the most recent days had been cold enough to feel like icy fingers running across Yumi's skin even over her thick sweater and jacket. After quickly thumbing a text to her mom stating she needed to "run by the library really quick to locate and take out a book for a research paper due at the end of the week", Yumi quickly jammed her hands into her pockets, lowered her shoulders and head from the stiff wind, and walked into the forest.

She hadn't texted the group about the very creepy mission she was threading out on her own, and yes, she had seen plenty of horror movies that started off with the dumb teenage girl dramatically trekking through the dark woods on her own after getting into a fight with her friends or boyfriend or whatever to know that she was making a stupid decision, but had she informed Jeremie of her solo mission, he would have insisted on conducting a whole group meeting first with Saphire in the room.

Yumi used the flashlight on her cellphone to illuminate a clear path as she got deeper into the woods. The forest floor was littered with crunchy leaves, cigarette butts and blunts, and so many broken tree branches, Yumi was glad for her thick combat boots. Though, she hated hearing the crunch-crunch noises that echoed all around her. Yumi's fingers were red and shaky ten minutes into the walk.

A howl suddenly cut through the air, raising all the hairs on Yumi's body, leaving a trail of goosebumps up and down her skin.

Harsh hoots of laughter followed and a high-pitched voice sounded out, "Shut up, you beast, you're not scary at all!"

Yumi allowed herself to relax, recognizing Mathias's voice as he answered the female companion he was with. "Aw, come on, Elisabeth, no need to pretend to be brave when you've got us powerful men to look after you." He flexed his biceps and kissed each side.

"Ugh, as if, my daddy would tear this forest apart if anything was to happen to me. Thus, that makes me the one with the most power here, and I don't even have to lift a muscle to prove it."