Chapter 13

Thank you for reading and voting!

"Mom, I can explain."

Yumi's mind was racing with half-assed explanations she could offer her mom. Damn it, she should have come up with some kind of cover story before they came in.

"And I'd love to hear it." Her mother replied.

She stood with her hands on her hips, shooting Yumi an expectant look. There was a stain on her apron and a testy look on her face. She was not in a good mood, whatsoever. Yumi had to be careful or this would go from bad to worse in seconds.

Yumi opened her mouth, hoping her brain would be able to push out a good excuse, when suddenly the teakettle went off. Her mom turned her head towards the kitchen. From behind her, Yumi heard Saphire gasp. She had retreated further up the stairs and had her palms pressed against her ears.

Crud. Yumi needed to fix the situation before Saphire started freaking out.

"Let's go talk in the kitchen." She moved forward, guiding her mom towards their eat-in kitchen.

Her mom rushed to turn the kettle off and then adjusted the stove. Yumi still didn't have a story for her when she turned around to face both her and Saphire now.

"Hello, Mrs. Ishiyama." Saphire smiled.

She grabbed the sides of the jacket wrapped around her waist and lowered her head.

Did she just curtsey in front of my mom like she's some kind of Queen?

"My name is Saphire. I have recently moved into the neighborhood and became friends with Yumi through school. The water was not running at my new...house, and Yumi has been kind enough to allow me to use the water here. I am very thankful and appreciative of her."

Yumi balked at Saphire. How was she suddenly able to speak so well? And where did she get that story from?

Yumi turned back to face her mom. Her face had softened. Was she really buying the lie?

"Oh well, it's nice to know Yumi hasn't forgotten her manners."

Yumi recognized the light jab from her mother. Yumi's attitude had been a little tense from all the late hours out and trying to juggle both her school stuff and the X.A.N.A. stuff.

"You have a lovely home," Saphire added.

"And you have...lovely style. I can see why Yumi likes you."

Yumi froze, hoping her mother didn't recognize any of Yumi's clothes on Saphire. The water thing was a good idea, but how was she going to explain that Saphire also only had one pair of clothes to her name?

"Yumi, can I have a word with you in private?"

"I – sure," Yumi looked at Saphire who stared blankly back. "Why don't you go wait by the door? You remember where it is, right?"

Saphire nodded like a child and then turned to leave. Yumi let out a sigh of relief.

"What did you want to talk about, mom?"

Her mother had begun pouring herself a cup of tea. She blew on the liquid and took a slow sip. Yumi didn't want to seem impatient, but they really couldn't afford to stick around. Yumi was worried Saphire might use this distraction to do who knows what.

"I'm glad that you're making more friends," Her mom started. "but I hope this doesn't cause you to act out more. Don't think I haven't noticed how late you've been getting home. And now you've started leaving the house without even informing us?"