Chapter 59

Thank you for reading and voting!

Saphire didn't have a chance to think or decide or fight back or anything before the dark side of her madness, the one she had been infected with during her last few days in Reverie slid out from the deep recesses of her mind and made her appearance in the room. Saphire had scoured the Psychology and Medical sections of the library, trying to understand her brain from an Earthian perspective. The closest thing she could find to describe this "other side" of her was MPD (Multiple Personality Disorder). Due to certain triggers, that of course varied for each person, but for Saphire's case, it seemed to specifically be anger and feelings of betrayal, an alter ego would sometimes present itself to deal with whatever terrifying situation was playing out in front of the person with MPD. To deal with this "other side", there are therapeutic methods, medication, and self-soothing distractions that can help to muffle and shove down the new feelings. Simple enough.

Except... there wasn't a single book or online resource Saphire could find where the extra personality came with supernatural powers. Powers that could change Saphire's appearance, increase her strength, and allow her mind-controlling abilities. It wasn't just with people but with inanimate objects as well. Sometimes Saphire found herself zoning out and suddenly things would start moving on their own; thankfully, it had only happened outside with the leaves on the ground or making the wind shake the trees, and hadn't yet progressed to large, more visible objects. If anyone from the group found out about it, they would immediately think she was possessed by X.A.N.A., or worse, working for him.

Who could she talk to about it? Who in their right mind could hear her explain what was happening and then not look at her like she was, well, a freak? But, keeping it a secret was getting harder too. This Other Side was strong. Saphire's suffering made Her stronger. MPD was often brought on by trauma where the extra personality came out to mask and protect the original person from pain, but the Other Side didn't care about protecting Saphire, She fed on hurting only. Saphire disliked how Yumi acted with her: constantly berating her, interrogating her every nice action, scrutinizing her for even the smallest things, and continuing to dig around her past, but Saphire could never think of hurting Yumi physically or even emotionally.

"Yumi," The Other Side growled her name.

"W-what are you?" Yumi gaped up at her, mouth drying.

Saphire's hair rose and flew on its own along with the objects on Saphire's side of her room. Books, papers, even the chair from the shared desk started to spin around on its own creating a mini gale in the room. But the bed Yumi sat on and the burnt book remained frozen in place. Yumi felt her limbs stuck too; she could only move her head back as Saphire marched forward.

Saphire placed a heavy hand on Yumi's shoulder and stared into her eyes.

"You will remember nothing of this." She whispered fervently. "You are unwell. You will go home and sleep, a deep sleep, and when you wake, you will have forgotten all of this ever happened. You will forget the book. You will STOP digging into my life once and for all. Do you understand?"

The Other Side, though She wished to have full control, abided by Saphire's intentions. Saphire wanted Yumi to forget everything about the book, about looking into her childhood with Franz Hopper, she wanted to dismantle Yumi's stubbornness and prevent her from ever having even an inkling about the idea again, but she was weak when it came to expressing that in a persuading way; Yumi didn't like listening to or taking orders from Saphire, and she wasn't easily fooled either. So her Other Side happily obliged in making her.

Saphire watched as Yumi's pupils dilated and started to change colors going from their usual chocolate brown to fading away to a washy, ashy, silvery-gray. Her face turned pale and cold. She stared directly into Saphire's eyes.