Chapter 26

Thank you for reading and voting!

"Oh thank gosh, it's you and not Sissi," Odd said as he stared into Saphire's baby blue eyes, now wide as saucers. He loosened his grip on her arm and hesitantly moved his hand away from her mouth. "I saw her running around like a madman earlier and was worried I caught her instead."

Saphire glared at Odd.

"Never do such a thing again." Her voice was low but full of fire. "Next time, I will not hesitate to rip your face off."

Odd gaped at her. "I-okay...sorry. I just-"

Saphire took a deep breath and turned away from Odd.

"Sissi is possessed. She tried to kill me and Theo earlier." Saphire replied instead of acknowledging Odd's awkward apology.

"You were with Theo?" Odd blurted out.

Saphire snapped her head at Odd. She looked pissed that that was what he had picked up on instead of the reality of the situation.

"He found me in the library. He was hiding something, or collecting it, I do not know nor care."

"You skipped dinner again for the library."

Odd didn't mean to make it sound like an accusation, but he couldn't help being worried about Saphire. When she first arrived on Earth, she had severe breathing issues and was practically starved. Now, she was skipping meals and not even informing the group about it.

Saphire opened her mouth to respond when she stilled suddenly.

"Wha-?"

She brushed her hand over his mouth. Odd was vaguely aware that it smelled like blood, but before he could question her about it, Saphire moved away, cocking her head left and right. She was on high alert, and Odd didn't find it appropriate to interrupt her train of thought once more. 

"It's quiet. Too quiet."

"Maybe everyone went to bed?" Odd shrugged.

Saphire gave him a hard look.

"Where were you before? The group was looking for you."

"I went to the library. I figured you'd be there. But when I got there, it was wrecked and-"

"You let Sissi out?!"

"I — hold on, how was I supposed to know she was on a warpath?"

Saphire sighed in exasperation, leaning her body against the wall.

Odd was taken aback by her sudden anger. He hadn't ever seen her so out of sorts — maybe with Yumi, but never with him or anyone else.

"Are you...okay?" He reached out a hand to place on her shoulder but froze when he recalled her threat from earlier.

Saphire pressed her forehead against the wall.

"No." She answered in a sad voice.

"Is there anything I can do?"

Saphire didn't reply. She licked her lips and then pushed herself back up to her feet.

"We should do a surveillance and make sure no one else is possessed. The others should be at the factory by now."

Odd looked over Saphire's face. Getting a better look, he noticed her wet hair and her tired eyes. He didn't know how else to help her. He didn't have the technical expertise Jeremie had or the sisterly connection Aelita had to offer. The only way he could be of any service is by doing as she asked.