Chapter 11

Thank you for reading and voting!

Saphire was content with staying wrapped up in Aelita's arms for the rest of her life. But, of course, the rest of the group was ready to get on with their lives. Yumi, as expected, was the first to interrupt the wonderful sisterly moment.

"That proves nothing."

Saphire stilled at the sound of her voice. She waited for Aelita's reaction to follow. She pulled away slowly and faced Aelita.

"How can you say that?" She asked, voice full of emotion.

Yumi walked forward, arms crossed over her chest.

"It could be some mind control trick." She answered simply.

Saphire's body tensed. Why would she say such a thing? What did she know about mind control tricks?

"Well, I believe her," Aelita replied, giving Saphire's arm a squeeze.

Saphire, surprised by Aelita's reaction, felt her heart surge with warmth.

"Well, it seems we're at an impasse then," Jeremie commented from his side of the room.

"You can all choose to be blind to the facts, but I still don't trust her." Yumi stared defiantly at Saphire.

"But, she already proved who she was to Aelita, why don't-?" Odd started to defend her, but Saphire held up a hand to stop him.

Filled with confidence and determination from Aelita's trust, Saphire no longer felt weak, and there was no way she would allow Yumi to push her off to the side.

She strutted up to Yumi and came to a stop in front of her. Yumi didn't want to believe her after telling her the truth, fine; she knew a better way to get her to listen.

"If I remember correctly, there was a time when another member was added to the team — William, was it?" Saphire cocked her head to the side and watched Yumi carefully for her expressions. "And if I also remember correctly, there was not much argument from your side when that happened, was there Yumi?"

Yumi opened her mouth to answer, but Saphire cut her off.

"No. There wasn't. In fact, you were one of the very first to agree to the idea. Isn't that right?"

Saphire didn't want to act manipulative with Yumi, not when she considered her an important asset, but she was willing to do whatever it took to get her on her side.

Saphire took a step back. "I should not have to remind you of what took place right after he was admitted to the team. He became one of X.A.N.A's little minions. And why? Because he was foolish enough to let all the sudden power go to his head and get himself captured."

The rest of the group stayed silent. Yumi stared hard at Saphire.

"So what are you trying to prove? What does William have anything to do with you?" Yumi snapped back.

It was easy for Saphire to see that even though Yumi might not have feelings for William anymore, she had still struck a nerve. Saphire tried not to feel too happy about the victory.

"Nothing." Saphire shrugged. "I am simply trying to prove that sometimes your judgment, Yumi, isn't always the best."

Odd whistled lowly. "Wow, this took a turn."

Ulrich jabbed him in the stomach with his elbow.

"Whether you like it or not, Yumi, I am Aelita's sister — her older sister, and I have done everything possible — from risking my life to leaving behind two homes already — to get to her, to protect her, to keep her safe." Saphire crossed her arms over her chest, mimicking Yumi's pose. "And if that does not prove to you that I am trustworthy, then...I do not know what else to tell you."