Chapter 19

Thank you for reading and voting!

When the scanner doors whooshed open, Saphire was still caught in flying-through-the-air mode. She barely had time to push her arms out in front of her to catch her fall before she went crashing into the ground. Hard coughs racked through her entire body one after the other, not giving her a single second to breathe in between.

It was hard enough doing this in front of just Jeremie, but now the entire group was down in the scanner room watching the spectacle unfold. Jeremie pushed through the crowd with air tank in tow and called Odd and Ulrich to help get Saphire onto her back.

Everything hurt, and it was so hard to focus on the here and now. Listening to Aelita crying out to Jeremie about what was happening only made her hurt worse. She was supposed to be the strong, brave older sister. She was supposed to watch over Aelita and make sure she was safe and sound. She was supposed to-

Her thoughts ceased as a blank darkness started to fall over her. Saphire didn't want to risk opening her eyes just in case X.A.N.A. was still lurking nearby. Saphire wanted to panic because suddenly she couldn't feel anything anymore. It was like her body was going numb. That was good. But...why did it scare her?

Also, why should she care? She felt free. Finally, at peace. She had accomplished both her missions. She could rest now.

A whoosh of cold air infiltrated her body before she could get too comfortable. It spread through her lungs and helped to shove the trapped air out from her nose and mouth. Her senses started rushing back to life. First, her hearing: quiet voices getting louder and clearer, but there were multiple and they were all talking over each other so it was hard to make out the words. Someone was yelling. Someone else was crying. But in the midst of all that, someone was whispering lowly in her ear. She could smell their sweet, sharp breath.

When the feeling in her body returned, Saphire felt every single nerve on her body explode in pain. She cried out but the sound got trapped in her throat, blowing out hot air instead. She reached out and grabbed the closest thing to her, gripping down on it as her torso arched up. Her soul felt like it was trying to escape from her body to rid itself of the agonizing pain. No wonder charnels were in such high demand back on Lyoko; who would want to suffer through such agony alone?

This type of pain was enough to drive anyone insane. But Saphire wasn't willing to part with her sanity just yet. She swallowed down the pain and forced herself to inhale in, exhale out the sweet Earthian air being fed to her.

"Saphire, please open your eyes." She heard a gentle, broken voice in her ear.

"Odd, Odd, get her some water." A different voice called out.

"I-I can't. I don't know if you've noticed but she's currently got me in a death grip!"

She heard the words. But they didn't all make sense. A few more gulps of air and she recognized the tones. She was on Earth. Saphire slowly opened one eye and then the next. Everything was blurry and pale but when the images cleared, she rejoiced.

She was alive.

She had made it back to Earth.

She was breathing.

She could live a normal life.

Finally.