Chapter 33

Thank you for reading and voting!

Theo's parties were usually held at his cousin's house, not too far from Kadic. He was older, a university student, Theo explained, and lived with two other guys who loved hosting parties. They were old enough not to require adult supervision but young enough to still know how to have a good time.

The house was within walking distance from the school and even though the cool night produced an array of bumps on Saphire's exposed skin, it felt nice to be out and away from campus grounds. In her mind, Saphire went over the possibilities of where the group was currently: Yumi was either at home or enjoying dinner at Kadic with Ulrich and Odd. Jeremie would have been by Saphire's room by now and either seen her "asleep in bed" or run into Aelita who relayed on the message that she was much too tired to come down for dinner.

Or...they had walked into her room, pulled back the covers, and realized Saphire had created a diversion in order to leave campus. Her chest filled with anxiety, making her squeeze the hand that was still wrapped around Theo's. He squeezed back, thinking she was being friendly or flirty.

"You ready for the party of a lifetime?" Theo asked when they approached a white door.

That was a good question.

Saphire could loud thumping music and the chatter of voices coming from inside.

"Ready." She nodded.

Theo grinned and pushed the front door open.

Saphire usually didn't feel self-conscious when she felt all eyes on her, but she felt it then when Theo and she walked hand-in-hand into the house and twenty pairs of eyes looked over in unison. Some people did double-takes while others stared like they couldn't believe what they were looking at. Was being there with Theo really that scandalous?

Well, Saphire had done a lot worse in her past lifetimes — stealing a guy was nothing in comparison.

Still, Saphire's palms grew sweaty.

"Ignore them. Let's get you a drink." Theo steered her away from the judgey wide-eyed looks and further into the house. Finding a cleared-off table, Theo dumped his large bag on it and started taking out the bottles he had smuggled from the library.

Saphire looked around while he was occupied, grateful to have her hand back. The house was void of real light, bright enough to make out certain faces only because of small, hanging lights that shook with the beat of the music. She could see a lot of heads pushed close together. From the quick looks she was receiving, it was obvious they were whispering about her grand entrance. Saphire thought back to Maïtena's words in the bathroom: "everyone knows who you are, New Girl" and "everyone's expecting you". Maybe her newfound popularity could pose a problem.

"Finally!" A voice called out, breaking through the loud music. A hand slapped Theo on the back. "I was dying of thirst waiting for you, man! What took you so long?"

"I, uh, got a little distracted," Theo answered.

"Oh hey, Saphire!" It was Mathias. "So glad you could make it. Feeling better, huh?"

"Yes," Saphire replied. "Much."

She was distracted. Her eyes caught onto a pair of familiar faces: Maïtena and Caroline standing by a large staircase. She didn't want to catch their eyes, but she needed to get away from Theo and Mathias.

"I have to go see some friends." She pointed in the direction of the girls.

The boys shared a look that told Saphire they knew something about the two girls that they didn't like. Saphire didn't care much for it and was about to slip away when Theo handed her something.