Chapter 14

Thank you for reading and voting!

Odd was tired but he couldn't bring himself to go back to his dorm like Ulrich had opted to. After Yumi texted that they were on their way back to the factory, Ulrich decided he couldn't keep his eyes open any longer. He helped Odd gather up the mess of sandwich wrappers and the tops of the medicine bottles before walking back to Kadic. They didn't speak on the heavy trudge back and Odd was glad that Ulrich went to bed as soon as he opened the door to their room.

Odd sat on his bed for a few minutes, listening to Ulrich's snores. He thought over everything that had happened over the past four hours. Everything from his wild dream to the Lyoko trip to meeting Saphire to devirtualizing her on Earth to finding out there were tons more Lyokian sectors and citizens for each one. It was a lot to take in.

It was so crazy; just when they thought they had seen it all — Godzilla-sized teddy bears, possessed gym teachers, computer-coded monsters, killer soundtracks, death by laughter, and who knew what else that had managed to slip Odd's mind — and now here they were, faced with another crazy, out of this world idea.

He wasn't sure he had the headspace to consider it all. Saphire's presence, her arguments with Yumi, her "truths", all of it had been a good distraction from the reality of the situation: they had devirtualized yet another Earthian girl living on Lyoko, and they had no idea where to put her or what to do with her. They couldn't hand her off to the police; if her story was true, no one was looking for Saphire. No one had even noticed her missing. She had an estranged father who popped up once in a while to help the group, but had yet to make an actual appearance in Human form. On top of that, her mother has been MIA for years. All she had was Aelita. And now the group.

Odd couldn't even begin to imagine a life like that. He had a large family. Both his parents were around and he had an additional five older sisters. Sure, they had dumped him at a boarding school after he kept getting in trouble and his parents found they couldn't take care of all six kids and maintain their full-time professions as world traveling artists. Still, Odd knew either one of them would be there for him in a heartbeat if they knew he was in any kind of trouble.

Saphire had been surviving for years with no one by her side.

It made Odd feel terrible about her situation, about her past, about the sadness evident in her eyes. He felt guilty sitting there on his soft bed with so much in front of him: free food, free healthcare, good friends who had his back, and very rarely doubted his intentions.

His eyes trailed around his room. He finally stopped on the section where he kept his toiletries. It might not have been much, but Odd knew it would be appreciated.

Odd couldn't risk sneaking Kiwi out with him to meet Saphire. It was the weekend, but Jim could still be patrolling the halls; he liked to take on overtime hours sometimes. He must not have much of a social life. Odd wasn't sure if he should leave Ulrich some kind of note and he didn't want to wake him up either, but in the end, he figured if Ulrich even got up before evening, he'd text Odd to ask about his whereabouts. So, Odd fed Kiwi some more treats and then grabbed his skateboard to help him get back to the factory faster. He knew he couldn't stay long; he'd need to come back eventually to give Kiwi a walk before he started yip-yapping his location away.