Chapter 46

A/N: I found this awesome 3D model of the Hermitage on YouTube; it was created by özberk özen. The user makes their own fan-made Code Lyoko episodes as well as theme songs for each season. A lot of time and effort definitely goes into their work, so I recommend checking them out. Also, this chapter and the following one go into some heavy and serious stuff, so I will be adding trigger warnings of childhood abuse and trauma as a caution. Happy readings!

Thank you for reading and voting!

Ulrich was glad everything had turned out well. He was surprised by his own anger at the whole situation. He was angry that Saphire's addition to the group, as helpful as it was, was turning the group against each other because everyone wanted different things and no one was willing to listen to one another to come to a conclusive decision that benefited them all. He hadn't meant to blow up on Yumi; he was mostly terrified of what next year would be like when she wasn't around, when he'd have to go through the school day and Pencak Silat alone.

Jeremie had planned to be done with the whole X.A.N.A. business by the end of this year so everyone could finally get on with their lives, and as amazing as that sounded, Ulrich was worried about what came after. Having Saphire on their side now would definitely speed up the process of ending X.A.N.A.'s cruel reign over their lives, but what then? Would he just go back to being a normal student? Knowing what he did now about the world and all its capabilities, Ulrich didn't think it would be possible for him to ever forget and move on from the year of Lyoko craziness he and the rest of the group had endured.

Add onto that, the ever-growing feelings he had for Yumi that he still had not been able to confess. If he told her now, they'd have ten months left to spend together; if he told her and she rejected him, or worse, didn't feel the same way, then he just bought himself ten months of awkwardness. He couldn't ask her to change her plans all for him or even for the sake of the world. She deserved a chance to get away from X.A.N.A. and live the life she wanted.

All the frustration he felt at himself and at X.A.N.A. came out as a bundled mess and exploded out on Yumi instead. He knew it was the stress talking that made Yumi treat Saphire so badly. He should apologize to her. To both of them. But he didn't know how. Facing Saphire, however, was easier than looking Yumi in the eye and imagining a near future where she wasn't present in his everyday life. So when he spotted Saphire sitting outside bright and early on Sunday morning, he took the opportunity to walk over and do the right thing.

Ulrich had walked over hesitantly, grounding his feet into the ground, making sure he didn't speed away as soon as Saphire noticed him. But if she heard him coming or saw him through the corner of her downcast eyes, she made no move to welcome him. She kept her head down and her hand moving across the pages of her book.

"Hey, Saphire." He tried to sound natural and friendly, and not as uncomfortable and awkward as he actually felt.

"Greetings, Ulrich." Her voice was neutral; she didn't sound mad or happy.

Saphire's eyes stayed glued to her book. Ulrich was surprised to see it was a plain notebook, and not a thick library book. He had heard a rumor floating around of Claire and Magali gatekeeping the library; he hadn't given it much thought, but now he was worried it might be true. He knew how much Saphire enjoyed being at the library. It wasn't right for those girls to do that to Saphire. Hadn't they hurt her enough?

Ulrich realized he had zoned out and cleared his throat, bringing himself back into the current conversation.

"Listen. I just wanted to apologize for everything that's happened."

"Hmm."

Ulrich wished she would look at him, but he understood how uncomfortable she must be. It hadn't even been a proper week since Saphire returned to Earth and started going to Kadic, and she had already been through so much.