Chapter 22

Thank you for reading and voting!

Saphire was halfway done with her first day of school and she was exhausted. It was both similar and different from her experience at the Lyokian school her Lyokian father had enrolled her in, Catillion Academy. Kadic wasn't as grand or swanky as her old school, which had spotless, crystal white walls and furniture, but Kadic had a warm, soaked in sunlight look to it. Saphire's dorm was quaint and empty, but Jeremie assured her the group would help her fill it up with personal items to make it more intimate and lived in.

Aelita had been worried about Saphire sleeping alone in her room, so far away from her, and had sent in a request for them to become roommates. Saphire would like nothing more than to be able to sleep in the same room as her baby sister once again. Eleven years ago, they shared a bed, a home, two loving parents, and the strongest sisterly bond ever. She lost it all because of Lyoko. But Saphire had no blame for Aelita or the virtual world. No, the one to blame for the terrible mess of a life Saphire had landed into was someone else entirely.

But those weren't thoughts to focus on now. It was lunchtime and as promised, the boys brought Saphire back to the library for another viewing of the books. Standing in the library made Saphire feel like she was receiving a warm hug from a loved one, and she found herself eager to return to its soothing embrace. Food wasn't allowed inside the library, but Odd had brought her a shiny red apple to munch on as she perused the shelves. She wanted to take it slow, but the uniquely sweet skin of the apple and the tart juice that slipped onto her tongue when she bit into it made her lap up the fruit in six bites.

Thankfully, the breathing issues and nausea had both died down over the past few days. Jeremie had grabbed another two tanks of Earthian air just to be on the safe side. One was currently sitting at the factory; the other was hidden in the far end of her new closet. There were still bouts of moments when Saphire's stomach growled in distaste when she came near the aroma of Earthian food, having become used to Lyokian cuisine, but at the end of the day, food was food, and when you've been without it for long enough, anything edible was good enough.

The lunch break lasted for an hour and for the first forty-five minutes, Saphire pored over the first two-thirds of the thickest dictionary she could get her hands on. She was surprised to find so many Earthian and Lyokian words in common; the alphabet turned out to be the same as the one she was taught during her first Lifetime on Lyoko, so it was easy for her to maneuver through the pages.

Saphire's eyes worked fast over the listed words. The book was heavy on her lap and her fingers were coated in dust. All the books in the back section of the library were covered in soot and must. Some pages were even stuck together, causing Saphire to use the edge of her pinkie to slice the pages apart.

She traced her finger down the words in the "S" category. Finally, she found what she looking for and settled there. She fingered the torn edge of her pointer finger — a consequence of turning the pages too quickly.

Saphire stopped suddenly as her mind registered the dark words etched onto the yellowed with age page. She furrowed her eyes; sure she was missing something. There had to be more than just that little bit of information. When she could find nothing further, Saphire slammed the book shut, emitting an air of dust. She pushed herself up with a huff and stuffed the book back where she found it on the shelf, too frustrated to push it all the way back.

Saphire stormed out between the stacks, wanting to put as much distance between her and the book with all the information.

"What's the matter?" Ulrich asked, noticing her frown.

"It's not fair!" Saphire blurted out. "Everyone has a name that means something. Everyone — all of my friends, everyone I knew in Lyoko — and what did I get stuck with? A color. A colorful rock, to be exact!"