Chapter 21

Thank you for reading and voting!

After their shopping spree and a trip to a nearby beauty salon, which Saphire was extremely grateful for, Jeremie had given Saphire a tour of the school. He showed her around the gym and poolroom, the track field outside, all the different classrooms, and even the library, giving her the name and purpose for each room. The pair hadn't been able to go into the library since Saphire didn't yet have her student ID to prove she was a student at Kadic, but even through the glass door, Saphire found herself infatuated and intrigued by the expansive room with its large shelves and colorful spines decorating every available spot.

"Lyoko has tabs with a touch screen surface," She explained to Jeremie. "but there are a few physical books that can be found. I used to have one. I penned all my deepest thoughts in it."

She smiled forlornly as she remembered the gold leather-bound book she had written in nearly every day. She was grateful to have remembered to take it with her when she made her escape, since it gave her the chance to recount her memories while in the tower. Unfortunately, it was still stuck there. Along with the weapons she had brought along to defend herself from X.A.N.A. She had no one but the Stars to thank that the vial containing her Lyokian air supply had managed to devirtualize along with her onto Earth.

Standing inside the library was a whole other experience. Saphire felt all her senses go on overload. The smell of dust and wood infiltrated her nostrils; light chatter, the turning of pages, and the click-clacking of keyboards echoed through her eardrums; the books were hard to the touch but the pages soft as a feather against her fingertips; the colors, the shapes, the sizes, Saphire could barely keep up with all of them.

She had no idea where to begin.

Saphire stood in one of the back shelves, spinning around in circles, shoulders back, head up, taking in the view. She had left her friends behind at a table near the center of the room where they conversed, presumably about her. Saphire's eyes eventually fell on a small table not far from where she was where a group of boys had abandoned a collection of thin white books. Saphire walked up to the table and ran her hand over the glossy cover.

Kadic Academy Class of 2010.

Was this a book about Kadic?

Saphire had done extensive research on Kadic when she was forging the documents needed to attend. The school was built during the early 1900s, making the school over a hundred years old in Earthian years. The number itself was too large for Saphire to even attempt to calculate into lifetimes.

There were several other books on the table that had a similar cover. One of the books was left open on the table and when Saphire looked over, she saw faces. Earthian faces. Faces she recognized. Kadic Academy students.

Wearing his usual color scheme of forest green, Saphire's eyes flitted over Ulrich's smiling face. Peeking her head behind the bookshelf, Saphire could still make out Aelita, Jeremie, and Odd sitting at the table they had reserved. Jeremie was going through his laptop while Odd was leaning back in his chair, saying something to Aelita and making her laugh.

Saphire turned back to the book in her hand. The cover stated the book was from 2013. According to Jeremie, they were currently in the year 2014. Saphire turned the book back to the beginning and learned she was partially right. These were books on Kadic, but specifically on the students. Listed in alphabetical order, the books showed rows and rows and pages and pages of Kadic students.

Saphire took a seat at the table and begun raking her eyes over all the names and faces, memorizing as many as she could. This knowledge would surely become useful later.