Chapter 38

Thank you for reading and voting!

After an hour of giddy, sweaty dancing, the group called it a night. They had twenty minutes before curfew was put in place. Ulrich and Odd wanted to stay but Jeremie insisted they leave together. Odd had barely dodged engaging in a fistfight with a drunk Theo, and Sissi was getting a little too handsy with an intoxicated Ulrich. Saphire hadn't consumed any alcohol this time, wanting to keep her head clear to enjoy all the sights and scenes. And because her solo mission was nowhere complete. Plus, if X.A.N.A. launched another attack, Saphire needed to be on her toes and not stumbling about trying to keep herself alive from envious knife-wielders.

After getting the boys to their shared dorm, and then Aelita to her room, Jeremie escorted Saphire to hers, even though she told him she'd be fine on her own. Aelita was beat by the time they trekked back to campus, rushing to make it to their floor before Jim came around to make his rounds, and she was almost immediately asleep by the time her body hit her bed. Thankfully, she didn't ask Saphire to spend the night; she didn't say much at all but did give Saphire a warm hug goodbye.

"Will you make it back to your room in time?" Saphire asked Jeremie as they walked down the hall to her room.

"I think so. If anything, I can just let Jim know I was in the bathroom with some stomach pains." Jeremie joked.

Saphire laughed. "I have always found that to be the best conversation escaper. Feign some stomach pains and you are able to slip away from any kind of situation."

"It feels good to hear you laugh." Jeremie gave her a sideways glance.

"I agree."

They stopped in front of her door, but instead of saying goodbye, Jeremie stayed put as Saphire unlocked her door.

"Don't worry, I do not plan on escaping again." She humored him.

"I know." He chuckled. "I trust you."

His words made Saphire's heart sink a bit. It wasn't that Jeremie shouldn't trust Saphire to live up to her words of protecting Aelita, still with their track record of running into constant trouble, it wouldn't hurt to be even a little cautious of Saphire and her intentions. But, Saphire had to be grateful that some of the members of the group were more trusting than others (meaning Yumi, of course, who was a little too suspicious for her own good) because it benefited her in the long run.

"Thank you for tonight, Jeremie," Saphire said as she opened the door to her room.

"Anytime." Jeremie smiled.

Saphire was surprised when Jeremie walked inside with her, but she didn't show it. He looked like he was gearing up to say something he hadn't wanted to bring up in front of the group. She prepared herself for what it could be.

"Actually, I wanted to ask if you, uh, found what you were looking for?"

Saphire gave him a confused look. Her eyes searched his face, hoping to figure out his next words before he spoke them aloud.

Jeremie smiled awkwardly and clarified, "I saw you go upstairs earlier, and I remembered you were so insistent on finding information related to Franz Hopper and Theo's grandfather. I figured part of the reason you wanted to attend the party so bad was to fill in those holes."

"You are a good observer." Saphire smiled, even though it was hard to. "Caroline and Maïtena wanted to speak to me about my intentions with Theo. They are hoping I am interested in him as they do not have good relations with Sissi and would love to see her suffer. And if you are wondering, which I am sure you are, I have no ill intentions reserved for either Theo, or Sissi, or anyone at Kadic."