Chapter 17

Thank you for reading and voting!

The chest burning wouldn't stop. No matter how hard Saphire was trying to stuff it down, ignore it, pretend like there wasn't an open inferno blazing away in her chest, now spreading down towards her lungs, it just would not stop.

Saphire inhaled in and was surprised at how raspy her voice sounded. She glanced at the timer. She had a good ten minutes left. That was more than enough time to implant the virus in the William clone, stand back and wait for it to begin dismantling X.A.N.A.'s possession over it, and then guide both clones back to the Way Tower Saphire was currently suffocating in, but her body was betraying her. It shouldn't be doing this.

The air supply flowing through her veins must have been malfunctioning. She understood it now. Lyokian air could not survive in the same presence as Earthian air and because she had spent so much time on Earth, almost a full twenty-four hours, the air supply had been contaminated.

Saphire squeezed her hand into a tight fist.

"Jeremie," She moaned out. "the um, the clone is getting the...virus in...but-but I need...I need to come back. Now."

No response.

"Jeremie?" Saphire tried again.

Please, please, please. She begged. Don't do this to me now.

The Stars were failing her. Again. They must really hate her. But no matter, she could still do this.

Saphire urged her fingers to keep moving. She was making too many mistakes. She needed to stop, breathe — though the burning had changed course and was trying to reach up through her throat now. Her mouth was too dry. Saphire tried swallowing but her saliva had a weird metallic taste.

Saphire inhaled in a large rush of air and pushed forward.

Four minutes later, she had the virus implanted in the William clone.

It took three minutes before it started working.

And then, two minutes later as the X.A.N.A. symbol began to fade from his pupils, Saphire's clone got to work on cutting the wires holding William in place. He had enough of the air supply in him that he would be okay for the trip back.

One minute later, when Saphire's eyes were barely open and she was typing blindly, she stabbed in the coordinates for the clones to follow.

Twenty seconds before she passed out from fatigue and pain, she heard Jeremie's voice crackle back to life in her ears. Only this time, she had no answer for him.

Three seconds before she lost all senses, Saphire quickly stabbed the final button to commence the devirtualization process on her end and allowed the Stars or whoever had looked after her this whole time to do what they could about keeping her alive for just a little bit longer.