Chapter 23

Thank you for reading and voting!

Yumi stared hard, wondering if she was really seeing what she thought she was. She had been let out of her math class early and decided to make her way over to the art classroom where William was. It was his first day back to class and she had been worried about whether he really was back to his normal state. She tried to get to him earlier in the day, but she had been swamped with preparing for and acing her history test, and then for lunch, they were serving quiche and Yumi's stomach had decided that was more important than checking on William, who was probably doing fine. If he hadn't been, they would have heard by now.

Yumi had no idea what witch voodoo Saphire had done on him, but Ulrich had called her later that night to confirm that everything had gone well and he seemed like his normal self already. They didn't take the risk of asking him anything about X.A.N.A. or Lyoko, just in case it triggered any hidden memories for him; he had been trapped on Lyoko and under X.A.N.A.'s rule for over a month, and Yumi found it hard to believe his memory could just be wiped clean of it all so easily.

Yumi hadn't bothered to follow up on Saphire's progress. She knew the boys had skipped lunch to hang out with her and bring her to the library so she could "smarten up". It was a quiet lunch spent with Jeremie and Aelita, which Yumi had no complaints about. The only thing her mouth and mind needed to be focused on was quiche. But when she found Saphire leaning against the wall outside the art room parallel to Theo who stood close to her and kept his eyes trained on her the entire time, Yumi wondered if she should have come by sooner.

The pair seemed to be caught in a tantalizing discussion and completely unaware of Yumi glaring them down.

"Oh hey, what are you doing here?"

She turned her head to the side to catch a glimpse of Ulrich striding up to her.

"What is she doing?" Yumi countered back.

"Uhh, I think she's having a conversation," Ulrich responded.

"No. I think she's flirting with Theo."

"Well, what's so wrong with that?" Ulrich laughed. "She's human and has been away from other humans for a long time. She can do whatever she wants."

Yumi spun around, locking eyes with Ulrich.

"No, Ulrich, she absolutely cannot just do whatever she wants. She's not here to flirt, or make friends, or whatever else her intentions are. She's here to 'protect Aelita'. And how is inviting attention into her life, into her secret life," Yumi hissed. "a good way to keep Aelita or any of us safe?"

Ulrich blinked. "Listen, I didn't think that far ahead into the whole thing, but, Saphire deserves to have friends outside of us. It'd be good for her; make it easier for her to learn the ropes."

Yumi scoffed. "And what if she spills her secret to her new friends?"

"Why would she do that?"

"Listen to what Theo's asking her." Yumi nodded her head at the two who were still conversing. Saphire was giggling now and Theo looked mighty pleased at having been able to make her laugh.

"So, uh, I'd love to know more about where you're from." He raised his eyebrows at her. "Your stories got me really interested in visiting one day."

Ulrich stilled next to Yumi.

"Oh."

"Yeah."

"No, come on, there has to be some kind of reasonable explanation behind this." Ulrich tried to say.