Chapter 42

Thank you for reading and voting!

Saphire gasped awake.

Her eyes flickered left and right, trying to tell her brain where she was. It was too dark to make out her surroundings, but from a quick visual sweep, she slowly came to the realization that she was not in her bedchamber on Reverie. That's right, she was on Earth now.

Something strange had happened.

Saphire's body was damp in several places: her neck, her back, her face. Her sleepwear were stuck to her skin. But at the same time, she was shivering from an invisible breeze.

Saphire sat up slowly. She didn't feel so good. The room felt cold, like she had accidentally left one of the windows open. She swiped her hand across her wet neck, moving the hair off of her skin. She wiped the sweat left on her hand on her knee.

Her heart was racing. It felt like it was trying to squirm its way out of her chest.

Had she been dreaming? When did she go to bed? What time was it?

Saphire couldn't even remember lying down, much less changing out of her school clothes or washing off all the dried food. She knew she had skipped out on her classes, but what happened after she left the cafeteria with Jim? Did they ever make it to Principal Delmas' office? And what had he said to her?

Saphire couldn't find any of the answers in her head, but there were pieces of a dream shifting around in the recesses of her mind. It was too fuzzy to decipher though.

Saphire slapped her hand to her chest. Her heart rate had not calmed down one bit since she awoke from her deep slumber. It was still slamming away and tightening her chest as a result. Saphire placed her bare feet on the floor and shrunk away at the chill. Had she left her window open? Saphire was about to go check when she got a sudden urge to vomit. She bent over, gripping her knees and dry heaved.

She didn't have time to pull on a pair of socks, so every step down the hall and into the girl's bathroom was slow and measured. Saphire had to lean against the wall and push herself to take each step. Her body was perspiring again. Saphire couldn't understand it. Was she sick? And why did it feel like there was a dark hole in her memory?

Stumbling into the bathroom, Saphire grabbed the edge of the middle sink and dumped her head under the faucet. Her throat was drying up quickly. Her coughs were raspy and harsh. Something tickled the back of her throat and after a few seconds of dry heaving, a filmy white substance crawled up her throat and fell into the pristine white sink bowl.

Saphire groaned in pain, not understanding what was wrong with her. She was fine in the morning. What had happened all day that she was failing to remember? The faucets were freezing, but thankfully the water was lukewarm. She ran some water over her face, wiping away at the sweat. She gulped some down to soothe her scratchy throat. No sooner had the water droplets trickled down her throat before Saphire was bending her head deeper into the sink and coughing it all back out.

Spitting out the last remnants of the tap water, Saphire picked her head up and looked into the mirror for the first time. She gasped at the sight and nearly stumbled down to the floor, grabbing the edge of the sink before she could.

Her eyes.

No longer were they her usual bright blue.

All the color had seeped out, leaving behind a pair of ghostly pale white orbs that shone in the dark of the bathroom. They resembled the oval lights that were attached to the front and tail ends of hovers, illuminating a clear path through Lyokian sectors after the morning light had descended.