Chapter 6

Once again, Belial was awakened by an enticing scent, only this time it wasn't only Aleks' fragrance, but also the scent of freshly fried meat.

Aleks opened the door and entered the room. "Belial, are you awake?"

"Yes, I'm awake," he replied.

"Well, are you hungry?" Aleks asked and Belial's stomach rumbled in response.

"Looks like it." How badly did he need food for his belly to make these humiliating noises? Urgently.

Noticing the extent of Belial's hunger, Aleks ran into the kitchen and hurriedly prepared and loaded a plate of food. On a tray, he brought the plate and cutlery into the bedroom and carefully placed them on the table next to Belial.

The seductive scent caressed Belial's nose and again his stomach growled causing Aleks to laugh.

"Did you just laugh at me?" he asked, bewildered.

Aleks tried to suppress his grin, unfortunately to no avail and it was a good thing the demon couldn't see him. "Sorry, but hearing a demon's stomach rumble just came so unexpectedly."

"You can't lie, can you?"

Aleks simply hummed a response to his question because he didn't know if this was something the demon would use against him in the future. He carefully loaded a fork and held it up to Belial's mouth. "Please open your mouth."

Surprisingly, Belial actually opened his mouth and Aleks quickly fed him a forkful of food. Belial chewed and swallowed while Aleks waited. No reaction?

As soon as the food touched his tongue, Belial experienced an explosion of taste. He had never eaten anything so tasty. "Delicious, what is that?" He exclaimed.

Aleks' scent suddenly brightened as he was unexpectedly pleased with Belial's compliment. After all, not everyone received a compliment about their cooking skills from a demon.

"I'm glad. Duck liver with oyster sauce and summer vegetables. Would you like some more?" Aleks replied, embarrassed.

"Yes please. Don't you eat too?"

No matter what happened, the demon always was polite.

"I'll eat afterwards, depending on how much you leave, after all, you are... my guest."

Guest wasn't necessarily the most appropriate word, but Aleks couldn't think of anything better. He ate in silence after that and then Aleks ate the leftovers. Once they were finished eating, Aleks put the plates in the dishwasher and washed the wok which he had used to prepare everything.

Again, the corners of his mouth tugged upwards as he thought of Belial's reaction. Wasn't there any good food in hell? Now that he was thinking about it - was there a hell? He decided that he would ask him later. With a new water bottle, he went back to the bedroom and sat next to Belial. "Would you tell me something about you and your home?"

Surprise wandered over Belial's face at his question. Didn't he expect that question?

"You don't have to if you don't want to."

"Aleksander," Belial began. His name sounded like the name of a rare work of art coming from his mouth. "One thing you need to know about demons: with a few exceptions, a quid pro quo is always expected. You call it pact or trade in your myths."

"What kind of consideration do you expect?" Belial frowned again because he hadn't expected that answer.

"In return, I want to know something about you and..." he broke off in the middle of the sentence which aroused Aleks' curiosity.