Epilogue

Aleks sat in the kitchen and drank a herbal potion. He massaged his forehead to get rid of the annoying headache he had had since getting up. Since that crazy night, nothing extraordinary had happened. Whatever had happened, it hadn't occurred since.

He went to the terrace and laid down in the sun. Another hour before it started. Aleks sighed again. It had to be; he knew that. The sun was shining on his bare belly, doing him good. Nero and Belial had ideas about interpreting the prophecy, but nothing more.

What the prophecy had said – the end – could happen in a week, or even in a hundred years. The time span was another unknown factor.

Two legs stepped into his line of vision. "Hi Aleks, would you like a snack?" a cheerful Liran asked.

After Aleks had healed Liran, a deeper friendship had developed. Liran sat down next to Aleks and placed a plate of sandwiches between them. Since Liran had eaten them for the first time, they had become his favorite dish. He and Aleks had worked on new recipes, concocting some strange creations.

Aleks sat up and gratefully accepted the offer. He reached for a sandwich and bit into it heartily. He groaned with relish. Delicious.

But as quickly as the joy came, it disappeared again. Suddenly, nausea rose in Aleks. Shit, I think I have to... Aleks kept his mouth shut and ran into the estate. Toilet. Shit, why don't demons have a toilet? In a panic, he searched the surroundings and finally found something.

Liran anxiously ran after his friend. When he arrived in the next room, he saw Aleks hanging over a flowerpot and vomiting. His body shook again and again.

"Aleks, is everything ok?" he asked, frightened. Aleks looked at him. In the next moment, however, another wave of nausea caught him, and he continued.

"Hilla, call a healer!" Liran shouted to a servant who had run into the room.

"Everything will be fine," Liran said, calmly stroking Aleks' back.

"How do you feel?" Richelle asked as she examined Aleks' body.

"As if I had my soul torn out of my body. The last time I threw up like that was after a freshman party," Aleks replied in a hoarse voice. Belial stood next to him and held his hand.

Richelle hadn't been able to detect any injuries or illnesses at the first examination.

"Hmm, maybe it has something to do with his human half. We know too little about halflings," she said thoughtfully. "All human functions have been established with you and your body has taken on your supernatural side. Actually, such a thing should not happen."

Richelle stroked Aleks' belly and called the seal. Nothing. It was still intact. So, it wasn't related to that. Then she kept searching.

"Don't you have any explanations, Madame Richelle?" Belial asked tensely.

"Has anything happened recently? Something that was unusual?" the healer asked.

Aleks shook his head. Belial remained thoughtfully silent.

"Aleks' body reacted strongly to the orientation of the stars," he said, even though he didn't know if this was related to Aleks' condition.

"How did he react?" Richelle asked suspiciously.

"No, no, no. This is private. Not a word of it, demon, or you'll regret it," Aleks said, and his face turned slightly red.

Aha. So, a reaction of this kind. Hmmm. Then Richelle came up with an idea. Even if this was completely absurd, she still had to check it.