Chapter 21

Lyric belonged to the almost extinct breed of runic demons. They were the only surviving race who could use runes to enhance their magic.

Runes were magical symbols that served a specific purpose. There were roughly three categories: synthesis, analysis, and amplification. According to their name, they could create, analyze, or amplify the magic used.

He drew a rune of the type analysis into his right palm. This began to glow as his magic filled the rune. He slowly directed his palm to the injured man's body. Information about his condition and the severity of his injuries appeared in front of his inner eye and he sharply inhaled. The light of the rune expired and it disappeared.

They didn't have much time. The poison of the shadow animals had spread throughout his body and would soon reach his heart. The worst thing, however, was that the human was still conscious. Right now, he had to be suffering unspeakable pain. Every passing second ensured that treating the wound became increasingly painful, probably just as painful as when the wound was first inflicted.

"Lock him into this position, it's going to hurt," Lyric said.

Belial, once again, lovingly stroked his mate before he took his hand to comfort him.

Lyric drew two runes - one in his right hand and a second on Aleks' wound. "Well, let's go," the demon said.

Both runes connected through a kind of invisible tunnel. Lyric used this connection to literally pull the poison out of Aleks' body through his open wound. The human screamed in pain and clawed at Belial's hand which was firmly squeezing his.

Lyric almost felt sorry for him but he had to continue. The alternative was death. Suddenly he felt a blow. He was thrown backwards and landed unsteadily on the ground a few meters away. He stared stunned at the altar. What had just happened? Belial, too, didn't seem to know what was going on. He must have triggered a defensive mechanism. No, humans don't possess such a thing. Great, how should he treat a patient he couldn't touch? In one fluid motion, Lyric rose and went to the altar. "He has to lose consciousness, otherwise I can't treat him," he said in a calm voice, choosing to temporarily ignore what had happened.

Belial seemed to have no choice. He was afraid of losing Aleks if he fainted, but he also did not want him to suffer such pain. "Tsuka, you have to sleep now."

Aleks gripped Belial's hand tighter and shook his head weakly. Tears covered his face. He was afraid - afraid of not waking up again.

"Forgive me Tsuka, there is no other way."

No, Bel, please don't. I can take it.

As if he had heard Aleks' thoughts, he shook his head. "You are my heart, Tsuka." Then he put his hands on Aleks' temples and sent a small amount of energy through his body causing Aleks to instantly close his eyes. His head tilted to the side as he now laid unconscious on the altar. "Lyric, do what you have to do," he forced out with a hoarse voice.

Lyric didn't need to be told twice. He continued the spell. In a thin stream, the poison flowed from Aleks' wound to Lyric's right hand and into a bronze metal bowl that his hand was held over.

An hour later, the rune demon covered Aleks's shoulder wound with a herbal ointment to help speed up the healing process. He had mixed a few drops of Belial's blood into the ointment. Absorbing his mate's blood directly would have been too much for the human's heart, but in the ointment, it could be effective without the same risks. He put a dressing on his shoulder and stepped back.

Relieved that everything had gone without complications, he rotated his tense shoulders in a circle and cracked his joints. "Don't worry, he'll be back on his feet in no time."

Even if that calmed Belial a little bit, it wasn't enough to lessen the tightness in his chest. He knew that it wouldn't disappear until Aleks opened his eyes.

"Well, I'll take you to one of the guest rooms. Take your mate and you can rest there with him until he wakes up. This shouldn't take longer than a day. You should also change and take care of your own injuries."

Belial looked terrible and smelled equally as bad. He took up Lyric's offer without hesitation. "Thank you, my friend."

Lyric snorted at the sincerity in his friend's voice. Belial had saved his life centuries ago. Had it not been for him, he would have ended up dead in a ditch at best. As I said at best. It was a debt he could never pay back, even if Belial didn't see it that way. "Don't worry, it all comes down to your bill."

This elicited a quiet laugh from Belial. "Sure, add a bottle of Macallan 1926 to it."

Lyric raised his eyebrow in surprise, after all, a bottle of this whiskey cost just under 1.68 million dollars. As a whiskey lover, he knew this all too well. Well, a life had no price tag, certainly not that of a mate."It's noted," he answered and opened the door to the guest room before leaving the two of them alone.

Belial put Aleks on the bed and covered him so that he wouldn't be cold. He fondly brushed Aleks' tangled hair out of his face and gave him a kiss on the forehead. He would wake up again, he had to believe that.

A quiet knock on the door disrupted him. It was one of Lyric's employees, a goat demon, and he wordlessly handed him a bundle of clothes which Belial gratefully accepted.

In hell, there were also so-called animal demons, and as the name suggested some of them were partly animals. Even though they could shed this animal form, they usually did not, as they were proud of their animal attributes. But to find a demon with a goat's head in the human world was still unusual. Well, in the protection of Lyric's home, this was possible because they were protected from human eyes.

With a sigh, Belial peeled off his clothes and took a short shower. The wounds on his body had closed thanks to Aleks, so he only had to wash off the blood and dirt. He slipped into the fresh clothes and went to his mate's side. With a rag, he washed the remaining dirt, which Lyric hadn't removed, from Aleks's body and put on a new pair of trousers. Then he laid in bed with him, pulled him close to his chest, and fell into a restless sleep.

____________________________

Barely got away with life.

What do you think? Would you rather live your life without your heart or have a person as your heart who dies more easily?

Your Mouse Goddess