Chapter 24

It was Lyric who was the first to break the oppressive silence. "Old friend, let's talk."

Belial nodded and followed his friend into the front room, which was connected to the balcony. With a swipe, Lyric ignited the fireplace and sat down on his favorite sofa. It was long and narrow and the legs were wooden carved lily of the valley, as were the wooden decorations on the side. It was covered with a soft fabric thath had a light beige tone over which extended a pattern of lily of the valley.

His carpet, on the other hand, had a rich shade of green, reminiscent of a luscious meadow. Belial sat in the armchair which was a miniature edition of the sofa that stood obliquely next to it.

"Time to talk. We have some catching up to do."

Again, Belial just nodded but remained silent.

Lyric sighed. If relationships were so difficult, he could do without one. He got up and got two whiskey glasses out of his bar. Then he took out a bottle of Talisker Dark Storm, one of his favorite whiskeys, and poured a glass for both of them.

"Bless you my friend and the fact that you have finally found your heart," the silver-haired demon said as a toast. Again, just a nod from his friend.

Belial accepted the glass and took a sip. The smoky taste burned his tongue.

"You probably fell hard for this human. Come on, tell me. What have you been doing in recent decades? Since when have you been in the human world? How did you meet your sweetheart?" his friend asked him curiously.

Belial sighed. "You know Ly, a lot has happened since you left hell. Almost ninety years ago, I began to look for my heart more and more. Day after day I traveled through hell and searched for it but couldn't find it anywhere. So, I decided to search on Earth. I came here ten years ago. I traveled across all continents until I finally ended up in Los Angeles three weeks ago. There, I was lured into an ambush. Three mercenaries lurked and attacked me."

"Mercenaries? Why would they attack you?" his friend asked.

"They wanted my soul. I don't understand how they found me nor who commissioned them. After all, this amounts to a direct declaration of war on Astaroth." He paused and sucked in a breath before he said, "The leader of the group was Rukia."

"The Fire Devil? Heard a lot of rumors about him. He has made a name for himself in the last two hundred years. But they didn't catch you, am I right?" Nevertheless Lyric was concerned that a mercenary of Rukia's calibre had been sent after his friend.

"After our first encounter, I dragged myself into a side street. I was badly injured and waited there for death. Then Aleks came and he saved me. He took me to his home where I was able to heal from my injuries," Belial continued. "Without him, I would have found my end that night."

Belial paused. "Two days ago I met Rukia again and there was a fight. Aleks seemed to have subconsciously felt that I was in danger and came to help me."

Lyric had already heard that companions were sensitive to their second half, but the fact that the connection between the two was so strong after only a few days was more than astonishing.

"Aleks got injured and I brought him here."

Lyric felt that Belial didn't tell him everything but out of respect he didn't ask further. "Think positively, you found your heart. What was it like?" he asked inquisitively.

Belial pondered for a moment before he replied, "They always say, you just know. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case with us."

Confused, Lyric raised an eyebrow and took another small sip from his glass.

"I think the seal was responsible for that. It shielded him in some way. I didn't recognize him as my heart, nor did he recognize me. Over the weeks he took care of me, we developed feelings for each other."

Lyric swung his glass around in a small circle. "But this means that this is more than just fate-imposed hocus-pocus between you. You chose one another without being compelled to do so by any higher power."

His friend laughed softly. A new sound for Lyric that he had never heard from Belial. "Yes, you are right. He saved me. For the first time since I grew up, I feel like I'm alive and can see the world right for the first time. Everything is so lively and colorful."

The runic demon was genuinely happy for his friend but could not suppress his feelings of envy. Again this look, this unbelievable happy look... "And what's next? Are you going to break the seal?" he asked Belial who simply stared into his drink for a few seconds before answering.

"I don't know. I have to talk to Aleks about what he wants. First of all, I think we should find out more about the seal. Maybe we'll find the person who created it and the reason for it."

That's when Lyric came up with an idea. "Belial - what if you don't break the seal, just loosen it?"

Belial looked surprised.

"That's a sensible idea. This allows you to find out more about Aleks' powers and disposition and what kind of demon he is without being in too much danger," Lyric said.

Belial nodded in response. "You might be right, but I can't decide this. Aleks has to do that, after all, it's about his body and his life."

Suddenly, Belial got the smell of roses in his nose and he turned in the direction from which the smell had come in confusion. Is Aleks nearby? As fast as the smell appeared, it had already disappeared.

Lyric saw his friend turn towards the door, so he followed his movement. What did he see? "Is everything alright?" he asked his friend and Belial turned back to him.

"Yes, it's nothing. "

Lyric decided to leave it at that.

Belial emptied his glass in one go and rose. "I think it's time for me to talk to him. Thank you for your help and hospitality Ly," Belial said, turning to go but Lyric grabbed his friend by the arm.

"Belial, you know that I will always have your back and I will always be on your side. Just know that you can rely on me."

Belial smiled and pulled Lyric into his arms. "Thank you, Ly. I'm glad to know that you are on my side."

Lyric returned his hug and relaxed. Then Belial broke away from him to return to his mate. Left alone, Lyric went to his seat and poured himself another glass.

_______________________

After an this conversation, Belial now goes back to her room. Will Aleks wait for him there? How will he react? What are they going to do now?

Ideas? Write them in the comments. ;D

Lovely greetings,

your Mouse Goddess